409 Grade Stainless - Safe In A Randall?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez

Reaction score
Hi, I purchased a length 2.5" stainless perforated exhaust tube with visions of using it to pimp my Aldi randall but I didn't do my research and it appears it may be 409 grade stainless (a magnet sticks to it) instead of the more preferable 304 grade. According to Google the only downside to 409 stainless I can find is that it will develop rust. Is that the only downside and would it be safe to use in a randall where it will be submerged in beer for a week or two at a time?

Thanks, Jez

Hi, I purchased a length 2.5" stainless perforated exhaust tube with visions of using it to pimp my Aldi randall but I didn't do my research and it appears it may be 409 grade stainless (a magnet sticks to it) instead of the more preferable 304 grade. According to Google the only downside to 409 stainless I can find is that it will develop rust. Is that the only downside and would it be safe to use in a randall where it will be submerged in beer for a week or two at a time?

Thanks, Jez

409 Grade is designed to be easily drawn/welded into exhaust tube - as I have not (at least knowingly) consumed beer through an exhaust pipe I don't have any real world experience so will have to rely on theory.

304 grade has around 18% Chromium and 8% Nickel - and these 2 alloys produce the inert layer that gives it such excellent corrosion resistance.

409 only has around 10% Chromium and practically no Nickel so should be considered more as 'rustless' rarther than 'stainless' steel - certainly not food grade.

My advice would be to not use it as I would be concerned about picking up a metallic taint and iron pickup can also lead to horrific haze in your beer.

Oh, and the original filter that comes with it is a HUGE source of plastic taste in my case swap :( and yes, I did soak it in both hot nappisan and cold bleach separately for a day each...

I found that rubber oring gave off a nasty smell as well

Thanks guys. Back on eBay it goes.

Jez

Just adding to what is already said, the exhaust on my commodore is 409, and yes it does rust.

QldKev

But what does the beer served through it taste like ?

:lol:

:icon_vomit:

Could be a new marketing idea.
HP beer
V8 beer
I like this one--> Blown beer

and then they could have an editorial in the paper
Beer Torque

Back