400g Of Chinook In 23ltrs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunbrew

Reaction score
Has been a good hop growing season.
I brewed yesterday.
After mash in I picked about a kilo of fresh chinook.
Blended up 400g.
Boiled for an hour then put the whole 400g in.
Let it boil for 3 mins then flame out and no chill in the urn.
It's the most hops I have put in any beer so just wanted to share the moment.
Cheers.

IMG06201_20120209_1736.jpg

IMG06204_20120209_2023.jpg

IMG06209_20120209_2024.jpg

Whats the go with the blending? I havent seen anyone do it before and dont understand, esspecially whilst wet.

It is equivalent to around 100g dry so it will be awesome I reckon... let us know.

Using whole flowers over the last 3 years I was constantly finding lumpulin left in the flowers after the boil.
So I started blending my hop flowers.
Have made a batch without blending and a batch with blending and I noticed more bang for buck with blending.

Also whole flowers block my kettle tap and I did not like the hop sock method.

Made a few beers last year with 100g of my chinook, difference being it was dried.
I'm looking forward to testing in a few weeks.

Whats the go with the blending? I havent seen anyone do it before and dont understand, esspecially whilst wet.

It is equivalent to around 100g dry so it will be awesome I reckon... let us know.

That hop vine is seriously impressive...I'm jealous!
This beer should taste great, what type of beer is it? IPA?

400g holy crap. Chinook too - that's gonna taste full on. You must be addicted to Alpha Acid and I suggest you get help. :lol:

Jokes aside, well done on the crop and amazing hop vine - how do you get so many? Let us know your growing regime - fertilise? drip system? mulch? pest spray? planted multiple chinook rhizomes? How old are your hops?

Sorry to bombard questions but darn curious to know. I have two Chinooks and they're doing bugger all so I could use some pointers!

Hopper.

Using whole flowers over the last 3 years I was constantly finding lumpulin left in the flowers after the boil.
So I started blending my hop flowers.
Have made a batch without blending and a batch with blending and I noticed more bang for buck with blending.

Also whole flowers block my kettle tap and I did not like the hop sock method.

Made a few beers last year with 100g of my chinook, difference being it was dried.
I'm looking forward to testing in a few weeks.

Cool! Cheers for that. I had assumed it was for better extraction of goodies but again...never seen it before. Great looking plant too btw.

That is one very healthy looking chinook plant, literally covered in cones! Seriously impressed.

Last year a few of the locals got together at my place to 'use up' some chinook flowers. 400g dry (= to ~2kg wet) in a 40L batch of 10 min IPA - Pics and Video

You'll love the flavour and aroma!

The chinook is 3 years in the ground.
I have only disturbed it once, right when it was about to start shooting this year to cut some zomes off.

This year I mainly use cow manure and put some on about once a month.
Have a worm farm and put worm tea on it once ot twice a week.
Use seasol, have sprayed that on about once a month.
Also mulch with sugar cane at about $11 a bale.
Have not used any pest sprays, seems like the spiders and wasps that live in the hops get most of them.

1st 2 years I was getting 25kg bags of Searles 5 in 1 Plus (organic plant food containing Cow, Fowl and Sheep Manures, Mushroom Compost, Zeolite, Blood and Bone, hoof and horn plus added Trace Elements and Minerals).
I think that is the best, trouble being none of my local garden places or hardwares seem to sell it any more.

This year the frame is about 4 metres high and wide so the plant can spread out for maximum sun and ease of harvest.
My other hops are williamette, por, herbrucker and perle are not going as well.
I have realised that my failure to make a large enough frame for the others has held them back.
So next year I am keen to make a massive frame for each of them.
My neighbour is more than happy to let me walk on his garage roof to pick the hops and sample the beers.

400g holy crap. Chinook too - that's gonna taste full on. You must be addicted to Alpha Acid and I suggest you get help. :lol:

Jokes aside, well done on the crop and amazing hop vine - how do you get so many? Let us know your growing regime - fertilise? drip system? mulch? pest spray? planted multiple chinook rhizomes? How old are your hops?

Sorry to bombard questions but darn curious to know. I have two Chinooks and they're doing bugger all so I could use some pointers!

Hopper.

Not too up on my styles and just make beers as I go.

5kg JW traditional ale malt
800g belgian pale malt
500g wheat malt
80g carra malt
80g carra aroma
50g crystal heritage
20g pale choc malt

Mashed in at 65 for 90mins.
Mash out at 62 degrees.
4 litre sparge at 75 degrees.
Boil for and hour.
No chilling now and will pitch London Ale Yeast WLP013.

That hop vine is seriously impressive...I'm jealous!
This beer should taste great, what type of beer is it? IPA?

You have a fair few very healthy looking plants that I have seen in the hop thread.
That was an awesome brew, saw the pics when you did it and enjoyed another look then.
Chinook is one of my favourite hops.

Have you looked at used flowers after the boil and noticed if there is there lumpulin left in them?
And what do you think of blending the hop flowers?

quote name='DrSmurto' date='Feb 10 2012, 11:11 AM' post='877731']
That is one very healthy looking chinook plant, literally covered in cones! Seriously impressed.

Last year a few of the locals got together at my place to 'use up' some chinook flowers. 400g dry (= to ~2kg wet) in a 40L batch of 10 min IPA - Pics and Video

You'll love the flavour and aroma!
[/quote]

This year I mainly use cow manure and put some on about once a month.
Have a worm farm and put worm tea on it once ot twice a week.
Use seasol, have sprayed that on about once a month.
Also mulch with sugar cane at about $11 a bale.
Have not used any pest sprays, seems like the spiders and wasps that live in the hops get most of them.

Wow! With amount of goodies going on it im not surprised. If I treated my vege patch with that amount of love it would take over the house...

Very well done Sir! :icon_cheers:

You have a fair few very healthy looking plants that I have seen in the hop thread.
That was an awesome brew, saw the pics when you did it and enjoyed another look then.
Chinook is one of my favourite hops.

Have you looked at used flowers after the boil and noticed if there is there lumpulin left in them?
And what do you think of blending the hop flowers?

Never looked at the hops after the boil.

The yellow lupilin contains 100s if not 1000s of cmpunds, many of them which will not dissolve in wort/beer so I wouldn't be judging the presence of lupulin in the hops after the boil as a sign you haven't extracted all the aromatics etc.

I wouldn't blend the hops, it would increase the surface area of the vegetal part of the hop so in theory you could expect to get more of a grassy/vegetal note to your beer. You may as well use pellets!

My 2 c

Yep, that makes sense.
Sure dont like the sound of grassy/vegetal note in my beer!
If it is going to happen it should show up in this brew.
I will reply to this thread in a few weeks with a report of how it turns out.
Cheers.

Never looked at the hops after the boil.

The yellow lupilin contains 100s if not 1000s of cmpunds, many of them which will not dissolve in wort/beer so I wouldn't be judging the presence of lupulin in the hops after the boil as a sign you haven't extracted all the aromatics etc.

I wouldn't blend the hops, it would increase the surface area of the vegetal part of the hop so in theory you could expect to get more of a grassy/vegetal note to your beer. You may as well use pellets!

My 2 c

Yep, that makes sense.
Sure dont like the sound of grassy/vegetal note in my beer!
If it is going to happen it should show up in this brew.
I will reply to this thread in a few weeks with a report of how it turns out.
Cheers.
Thats a lot of chinook. You are braver than I.

Gunbrew--

With just a three minute boil, hop aroma should be explosive. When it's finished, go to a large public venue, maybe the MCG, and pour a glass. See how many people downwind turn your way. And by all means post a full report on your tasting. A worthy experiment.

Back