40 Litre Kettle, What Size Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yum beer

Not in the house, you've got a shed..
Reaction score
Im looking at upsizing to a 40 litre stockpot for BIAB, I currently use a 19 litre pot on an old stove in the garage but theres no way it will puch

a bigger pot to a rolling boil.

I have found 2 ring burners, 20mj on E-Bay, will it be enough for 40 litre pot.

Depends on your boil volume. I'd look at a 3-ring at a minimum. BBQs Galore have them for around $30 I believe.

Cheers

"what size burner" search

Bear in mind you might want to go bigger than 40L in the future. I'm in love with my nasa burner after getting off the stovetop and it will handle the job if/when I get a vessel larger than a keggle.

I use a 40 litre aluminium stockpot for my kettle. It's fired with a 3 ring burner.
The burner, and a medium adjustable regulator, were sourced from one of my local camping stores. It works just fine, and I have no trouble getting a brew to the boil and to keep it on the boil.

Other alternatives are to heat it with an electric element, but I've not gone down that path, so will leave others to comment on that.

Unless you're drilling out the jets, I would imagine that these are not suitable for a high-pressure reg. Medium you'd probably get away with, but high is just asking for trouble, AND I would think, would use your gas up much quicker for very little reward.

Cheers

I run a 3 ring burner on a high pressure reg but its not cranked right up. Its a BOC reg and prob on 1/15th of what it can run so at a guess its prob running at medium pressure I havnt had any problems with it I never drilled the ports out.. It will boil 40lts easy but getting it there may take a little while maybe 40mins at a guess. On my HLT its fine as it just heats strike water and does that at about 2-3 deg a min

OK, just worried about a high-pressure reg on what is essentially a low-pressure piece of equipment...

Carry on!

Cheers

so did I, Just looked and it shows about 20-25 Kpa on the gauge when everything is off when something turns on the pressure reads 0. the flame coming out of it is only slightly bigger then on a low pressure reg. Not sure what pressure that falls into and it only reads when everything is turned off.

Edit: looked at beerbelly and the adjustable medium pressure reg goes up to 207Kpa so I am running mine prob only slightly above low pressure. I have got 2 doubles and 2 singles out of a bottle so far and its prob just over half the bottle used which is not bad. I have 2 burners hooked up to the reg running at the same time. If I turn the gas up much more the flame has big air pockets and the flame goes outside of the pots so wouldnt be very effective

I have two brew rigs - a 3V (two kegs and esky), and a single vessel biab. The 3V rig is gas kettle, electric hlt. Single vessel is electric.

On the 3V rig, my boiler (50lt keg) sits right on top of a 3 ring gas burner. No problem at all getting to and maintaining a good boil even with a standard bbq regulator.
I have to wind the burner back a little once it's got to the boil too, otherwise shit leaps everywhere on a preboil volume of 46.5lt's.

With careful watching and checking i can avoid boilovers with this volume too.

If it was me, i'd start with just the three ring and standard regulator and go from there. Might be all you need without having to spend a bit of money on a nasa/mongolian/spiral burner and fancy regulator setup.

Steal your regulator off your BBQ for a brew to see how it goes...

Latest posts

Back