4 Pines Kolsch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well a bloke just turned up here in a van with a mixed 6 pack of 4 Pines for me, not many people can find this place B)
A big thanks to 4 Pine Brewery, I'll chill them down and let you know my thoughts.

Cheers
Batz

the man with the van showed yesterday with a six pack.
2 stouts
2 pale ales
1 kolsch
1heffe
stout: not normally a stout fan but this is bloody good, lots of coffee on the palate and this would be a great beer to accompany a nice steak. a great winter beer to sip when the temp drops.
the kolsch i could definately have a session on on a hot day, a better choice than a corona.
the pale ale... nice hoppy flavour and finish, would definately buy this again but i would class this more as an amber ale , still delicious but a bit dark to call pale. love this beer, will definately buy again.
and dare i say it, i quaffed some wehestephan wheat beer at chrstmas and i must say the heffe was equally delicious, a little drier on the palate but thats what i go for in summer.
nice work lads, you have raised the bar in customer satisfaction.
just wish dans would get their shit together, maybe you can do mail order?

OK opened a 4 Pines Kolsch this arvo, this was a completely different beer to what I had previously.

I really enjoyed this beer and would happily buy it again, I'm afraid I don't believe the first 4 Pines Kolsch I had suffered from handling issues but rather it had and infection.
As you can see by the pic this one is clear and carbed just right, my first bottle was over carbed, very hazy, smelt off and tasted as bad.

Anyway the guys are turning out bloody good ones now. :icon_chickcheers:

DSCF2511.JPG

I found the Kolsch I had to be very enjoyable, nothing outstanding to rant about but would be an easy session beer. Bottle from Dans
Also had a Four Pines Pale Ale today, also a nice drop, not enough bitterness to screw your lips off or enough hop flavour to confuse itself as a fizzy fruit juice, but nice. Also from Dans...different shop

Cant get either beer around heer normally, a few sixers of Kolsch still floating woolies from xmas, but deff... no pale,,,
gotta get to Manly and drink it off tap...

I found the Kolsch I had to be very enjoyable, nothing outstanding to rant about but would be an easy session beer. Bottle from Dans
Also had a Four Pines Pale Ale today, also a nice drop, not enough bitterness to screw your lips off or enough hop flavour to confuse itself as a fizzy fruit juice, but nice. Also from Dans...different shop

Cant get either beer around heer normally, a few sixers of Kolsch still floating woolies from xmas, but deff... no pale,,,
gotta get to Manly and drink it off tap...

I like the Stout, the pale ale needs a hop kick IMO.

Had the Kolsch at Dan's Archive farewell last night. Have to say, my first couple of schooners were OK, somewhat cloudy with a belgian yeast character... Then later in the night, the beer cleared up, the belgian twang went away, and it was an enjoyable beer!

Cheers!

I like the Stout, the pale ale needs a hop kick IMO.

I also like the stout.

But the questions still remains for me: would I pay the same price for an Aussie Micro than the real thing?

$4. What will that get me in the APAs or the Hefes? The ones from America and Germany.

Does it really need to be $4 for a stubbie at the bottlo to compete? Those beers from across the Pacific and Atlantic came a LONG WAY.

I also like the stout.

But the questions still remains for me: would I pay the same price for an Aussie Micro than the real thing?

$4. What will that get me in the APAs or the Hefes? The ones from America and Germany.

Does it really need to be $4 for a stubbie at the bottlo to compete? Those beers from across the Pacific and Atlantic came a LONG WAY.
Our excise really screws things up...notice the other day on Dans websitejust for an example...imported Peroni was $1 a carton less than the local made.....WTF...
and can usually get cartons of Oettinger(if your into that sort of shite) for only a few dollars over the excise on a carton of local brew...+1 WTF

Our excise really screws things up...notice the other day on Dans websitejust for an example...imported Peroni was $1 a carton less than the local made.....WTF...
and can usually get cartons of Oettinger(if your into that sort of shite) for only a few dollars over the excise on a carton of local brew...+1 WTF

I'd rather drink Oettinger than any of the Aussie Lagers that are all the same recipe with mouse wizz malt, and pride (pride? WTF - tastes like woodchips soaked in goat urine) of ringworm hops.

Mein Gott, ve needs to haf bein inwaded by dem.

Hi Gents,

Just picking up on the thread after a hectic Christmas and New Year period and wanted to assist, amend, answer, correct a few posts but mostly just wanted to get out from behind the bar!!!

JPR, Iralosavic, Beerhog, Bodders Ive sent everyone a msg asking for your postal address and a couple of questions. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please email everything through to the address supplied. In doing so all those affected have been contacted.

In regards to the batch and with an extended sales team recently started weve searched, found and accounted for the previously mentioned Kolsch. After comparing the Kolsch in the trade to that in the brewery weve found inconsistencies with the batch. Everything still at the brewery had no issues whereas an occasional issue was found with Kolsch through the chains. No infections present.

The old Klsch question. We have and could literally talk about this for hours but in the interest of an essay, very basically as Tiprya has said its in the spelling. Klsch isnt to be taken out of Kln (Cologne) so the rest of the world brews a Kolsch. Obviously much more to it then that but I think that can be saved for another discussion..

The questions also been asked about freshness.

Ploto what area in Sydney are you from? Ill get you a list of venues were on tap but as Nick JD said get on the Manly ferry no better way to experience. Everything packaged throughout the chains has been replaced and if ranged through the Indis there will be no problems. With a new sales team the beer is being pulled through much quicker and chains will also have no problems going forward.

Milob40 mail order? Unfortunately after bubble wrapping that many 6-packs and realising postage was up to $50 for some deliveries this isnt something were going to do. I dont think anyone wants to pay $50 - $70 for a 6-pack but as mentioned above the final collections are happening and everything in the chains will have no issues.

On a slightly lighter note; Batz, we love the view from your house.
Is that where the brewery is?
If so we are coming to Queensland to try a few brews!!! May even compare notes!!!

Thanks gents,
Any questions please let me know its time to get back to the bar!

Cheers,

Adam.

On a slightly lighter note; Batz, we love the view from your house.
Is that where the brewery is?
If so we are coming to Queensland to try a few brews!!! May even compare notes!!!

Thanks gents,
Any questions please let me know its time to get back to the bar!

Cheers,

Adam.

It is Adam and you welcome here anytime, shall I line up some glasses?

Batz

PS. Cheers for the six pack, really enjoyed them.

Tasting it over the bar at Manly, I think its a fine little pale ale but dont believe its a Klsch.
I strongly suspect its brewed with dry ale yeast and then perhaps its lagered, again based on tasting all the beers on tap I suspect there is a house yeast that makes all the 4 Pines ales, not something you can get away with when making Klsch.
I really do admire anyone who makes a reasonable Klsch; its a very difficult style to make and there is zero room to hide any mistakes. This beer just didnt exhibit that soft delicate fruity bouquet and the incredible cleanness that makes Klsch one of the most drinkable beers in the world.
MHB

Correct. The Kolsch is brewed with ale yeast and then lagered however we do not have a "house yeast" although I'm sure the brewers would like one.

With only 4 fermenters and no less then 3 yeast strains at any one time they are constantly playing a juggling act. We currently have a new system on the way to help free up some space with a much larger capacity.

Let us know when you're next in Manly and you'll have to get in for a visit!!!

Have to say that I've been picking up 4 Pines Pale at Archive Next Door to keep in my fridge. Its become my after-work beer of choice, usurping Little Creatures from that role.

The Stout is excellent too, and made an excellent glaze for the Christmas Ham!

Have to say I been wary of the Kolsch, but may pick up a bottle the next time I'm in for my 4 Pines Pale supply.

..... and that also it is not even brewed at 4 pines, but sourced from a brewery somewhere further up the coast...

On tap at Story Bridge a couple of months ago - cloudy, fruity, flat/oxidised character.
On tap at Brisbane German Club last week - clean, crisp, very cold and absolutely delightful.
What a contrast! At its best this is lovely beer. Try it at the GC!

I'd rather drink Oettinger than any of the Aussie Lagers that are all the same recipe with mouse wizz malt, and pride (pride? WTF - tastes like woodchips soaked in goat urine) of ringworm hops.

Mein Gott, ve needs to haf bein inwaded by dem.

I agree with you Nick. The only trouble with Oettinger is how easy it is to drink! As I've heard someone else say before, it'd almost not be worth opening a stubbie as it would be gone before you even tasted it! [email protected]% for $13.X = Easy choice. For a little extra $ per litre, Hofbrau would be my preference, although that is a Marzen.

Back on topic. I also had a dud 6pack of stout and 4Pines most graciously replaced it and then some. The replacements were untainted and I restored my friends' opinion of it, which was the least 4pines deserved. Great company.

How can they call it a Kolsch then? I thought a Kolsch needs to be made with a Kolsch yeast?

How can they call Victoria Bitter a "Bitter"?
How can they call Carlton Draught a "Draught"
How can they call Cascade Pale Ale an "Ale"

How can they call Crown Lager - Premium :p
How can they call Tooheys Extra Dry beer... :p

Winemakers and drinkers wouldnt take a shiraz being labeled a merlot or a Chardy labeled a Semillion...

it seems to be common practice... maybe because beer styles can be so interchangable and arent clear cut?

Latest posts

Back