4 Pines Kolsch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
i bought a six pack from dans last night but when i opened it, found it to be way overcarbed, has a very acidic smell
and it won't pour at all, just foams up and spews over the side. the bubbles in it are sustaining a head about 3 inches high.
also has small flakes in it but dunno if it is bottle conditioned
what is this beer supposed to taste like?
i think dan murphy's handling and storage is questionable.

That's not how a 4 Pines should be.

Could be very wrong, but that doesn't sound to me like an issue with Dan's handling?

I'd take it back or contact 4 Pines, and then get some more, great beers.

Kev

This Klosh is the only that I've had.
To style, is it supposed to be this sweet? reminded me of Bees-nez...not a fan.

i bought a six pack from dans last night but when i opened it, found it to be way overcarbed, has a very acidic smell
and it won't pour at all, just foams up and spews over the side. the bubbles in it are sustaining a head about 3 inches high.
also has small flakes in it but dunno if it is bottle conditioned
what is this beer supposed to taste like?

The ones I have from BeerMasons where way overcarbed as well, apart from that they were quite nice.

Sounds like infected bottles to me. If so, that's an issue for the brewer.

Dountful it has anything to do with DanMurphy's handling.

I had an identical problem with a 4-pack of Murrays Nirvana. I thought it was an infection problem too, but turns out it was a handling issue. Let 4 pines know and see what happens.

REALLY? Ya think?

I bought some Budvar there, and it was gutted and tasteless. Bought a newer (Best b4 date) 6-pack of Budvar in case the first one was not indicative.
Same result.

Same with a lot of beer I have bought from Dan's, including a Murray's beer. I'll make the trip to Bob's Farm next time and buy from the Brewery. It has a lot more flavour than the beer i paid for at Dan's , and should have too!

Having said that, a gusher is normally a brewery problem, and should be returned for store credit.

I thoight 4 Pines Kolsch was pretty average. Actually got hints of twang in there - not smooth at all.

Drank a Torpedo, Budvar, S&W Pacific, Urquell and then the Kolsch. Won't buy it again.

I'm with Nick. 4Pines Kolsch is way too musky for my liking.

To be honest, I'm kinda over trying to give the benefit of doubt to Aussie micros. S&W Pacific was "mild" and that's being nice. Where is this Galaxy supposed to be?

For the same price as something brewed on the other side of the world, Aussie Micros? Pull ya finger out! Put some flavour in if you're gonna charge that much!

I thoight 4 Pines Kolsch was pretty average. Actually got hints of twang in there - not smooth at all.

Drank a Torpedo, Budvar, S&W Pacific, Urquell and then the Kolsch. Won't buy it again.

You drank the Torpedo first, all in one night? I'm surprised you could taste anything at all after that. If that's true, no wonder the other other beers tasted bland. That SN Torpedo is a bitter beer.

I was eyeing off the 4 Pines Kolsch but bought the S&W Pacific instead. I found it to be yummy, full of passionfruit goodness. After reading this post I am unsure whether I will buy the Kolsch. Maybe just a bottle for xmas.

Regardless if it's a brewers issue or wrong handling, if you think it's infected or not the way it's supposed to be, take it back to the retailer.

From my experience Dan's will give you a full refund without asking questions, that obviously also covers the bottles you have already tried (unless you drank 16 out of 20 I guess).

this brew is so overcarbed, i'm now too f$%&@ scared to pick up the remaining beer bottles,
might put in an esky incase they explode :unsure:
definately no sweet taste or even hop taste, more like when you make an all grain apa and let the dog lick the fermenter clean.
damn i really wanted to try this brew but there is only 3 other six packs on the shelve so a good chance it too will be dodgy. might try somethin else.

To be fair to 4 pines, their kolsch is lovely on tap at their bar. Never tried it in the bottle though as I've heard several other reports such as yours.

To be fair to 4 pines, their kolsch is lovely on tap at their bar. Never tried it in the bottle though as I've heard several other reports such as yours.
i believe it would be, i'm not bagging them in anyway , just a 35km trip to dans to return it,
was really looking forward to tasting this.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the 4Pines Kolsch when I had it. It had a nice light floral quality to it. It wasn't overly carbonatd or anything. I just found the musk too overpowering and it made it difficult to enjoy. My wife would've loved it.

I would certainly give it a go, even if just to be able to tick it off your list of local beers you've tried.

i believe it would be, i'm not bagging them in anyway , just a 35km trip to dans to return it,
was really looking forward to tasting this.

Fair enough. I'd be dissapointed too.

For the same price as something brewed on the other side of the world, Aussie Micros? Pull ya finger out! Put some flavour in if you're gonna charge that much!

I think this comes down to the amount of labour needed to produce beer at all + the insane excise placed on microbreweries + the small industry/market. If I recall correctly, about a year ago I checked our system (1st Choice) and we were buying slabs of Little Creatures for $54 and selling them for $60. If a brewery that size has to charge $54 per slab to turn a profit (after production costs, tax and distribution) then it's no wonder people like Stone and Wood and Mountain Goat have their cartons sold for $70+.

I suppose the flavour is one of those things that needs to be compromised on in order to turn a small profit or break even.

Slightly OT. Sorry.

[quote name='Where's Jim?' post='857495' date='Dec 21 2011, 11:32 AM']I suppose the flavour is one of those things that needs to be compromised on in order to turn a small profit or break even.[/quote]

It's more than that. They just aren't as good as the beers they are trying to copy ... but they are the same price.

Back