4 Or 5l Taylor Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunks

Reaction score
Hi, i have recently aquired a 4 or 5L Taylor keg (previously used for syrups at McDonalds) and intend to use it as a modest party keg. The 'out' post is standard like my cornelius 19L kegs, which is great.
The only problem is, the 'In' post doesn't have a standard size and i am having trouble finding fitting connections for the 'in' post.

I have included some photos of my dilemma.

Has anyone used the Taylor kegs or know of any ways around this probleM?

cheers

RIMG0009.JPG

RIMG0001.JPG

Hey,

I dont' have a PROPER kegging setup at the moment, but the other day I was in SuperCheap around the compressed air tools area and there was a plethora of fittings and nipples and screws and joiners and plugs and connectors so if you can measure the thread or take something that screws into it, you should be able to find pretty easily something that will convert from that thread to a gas barb.

Hi, i have recently aquired a 4 or 5L Taylor keg (previously used for syrups at McDonalds) and intend to use it as a modest party keg. The 'out' post is standard like my cornelius 19L kegs, which is great.
The only problem is, the 'In' post doesn't have a standard size and i am having trouble finding fitting connections for the 'in' post.

I have included some photos of my dilemma.

Has anyone used the Taylor kegs or know of any ways around this probleM?

cheers

I think Kong uses (or used to use) an old Macca's syrup keg as a party keg. If you send him a PM he may be able to help.

I'm pretty sure he posted ages ago about his trials and tribulations of modifying it too so maybe a search for his past posts might yield something.

I think you also need to fit a pressure relief valve of some sort too - that lid doesn't seem to have one and would scare me.

Good luck

Jez

EDIT: sorry, this was the thread I was thinking of:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...3&hl=taylor

Hope it helps.

Dunks,
check out the thread posted by Jez for info.
ive now got 6 of these going. All the small type like you have, i ended up giving the taller one to T.D.
i got those adapters made up, i think they are 1/8 male to 1/2 female.? (check the thread)
you can but the adapter in 2 parts, but havent been able to source any one pice in those threads.
i got my taylor gas plugs from G&G (sponsors at the top of page)

where are you located...?

oh and before you go sorting your drinking regime around the volumes. I'm pretty sure the ones you have are more like 3.6 litres at best.

Cheers
KoNG

oh and before you go sorting your drinking regime around the volumes. I'm pretty sure the ones you have are more like 3.6 litres at best.

Cheers
KoNG

They are 1 US Gallon so nearly 3.8 litres at the don't fill above here line.
but you will find 1 US gallon plus 5 US gallons (corny keg) = 6 US gallons or 23 litres

thanks guys, that helped. I still haven't got any thing sorted yet, but i am working on it.
Kong, I am in newcastle ?
hopefully i will be partying it up soon enough...

At the risk of sounding like cronyism...

Maybe you could see MHB in Islington. He's good with fittings (ex-plumber), and may even have something in stock. ph 49 696 696.

Les

At the risk of sounding like cronyism...

Maybe you could see MHB in Islington. He's good with fittings (ex-plumber), and may even have something in stock. ph 49 696 696.

Les

No cronyism there Les, sounded like pretty good advice, there are plenty worse than that around.

Now back on topic, are these type of kegs really good for parties? What type of party gets by on 3.6 litres of beer? :party:
Have fun
James

Another take on things. Mine only had the single liquid out post (and no lid). Newguy helped me out with a lid/ hop trade and I had a good mate weld a 1/2" BSP plug into the lid and fitted a Taylor gas post. In good ol' hindsight I should have used a lid with the long skinny retaining bracket and should have had the socket welded lower in the lid as it's a pain in the proverbial to remove but it's still very useful (and I feel safer in having a pressure relief valve :ph34r: )
Cheers
Doug
Image007.jpg,Image006.jpg

Does Macas still use these? In other words....how do I get one?

Steve

uber-bump

I've just been shown one of these - and there's a very real possibility that there is a dirty great shit load of others available as well. (Just to be clear - i have maccas-connections, and these aren't being stolen.... they're gathering dust in a back shed somewhere)

Seems to me that I need to find converter's - 1/8" male to 1/2" female - then a corny gas post will fit straight on, and robert's-my-father's-brother.

Any thoughts? (KoNG has been sent a PM, but he hasn't been on in months...)

I would be keen on if there are some for sale!!

just had a quick search on the net 1/8 to 1/2" doesn't look like a standard size might need to be a custom build

uber-bump

I've just been shown one of these - and there's a very real possibility that there is a dirty great shit load of others available as well. (Just to be clear - i have maccas-connections, and these aren't being stolen.... they're gathering dust in a back shed somewhere)

Seems to me that I need to find converter's - 1/8" male to 1/2" female - then a corny gas post will fit straight on, and robert's-my-father's-brother.

Any thoughts? (KoNG has been sent a PM, but he hasn't been on in months...)
if you can get your hands on some I'd be interested.

PM me if you have some for sale.

If these are only 3.8L, do you really necessarily need a gas in post?
I'd just over carb the beer a little, fill at cold temps and then just serve a few degrees warmer than it was filled. I reckon that together with the occasional shake might be enough released gas to dispense the whole lot.
Haven't tried it myself though but might be worth a shot.

Latest posts

Back