3rd Batch - Success!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3GumsBrewing

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have finally had a great success with my 3rd brew. Thought I might submit it to see if you experts out there can suggest improvements for the next time I try it.
I am but a simple kit brewer so far, have progressed to a boil up (yesterdays brew)!!

Kit - Beer Makers Dutch Larger
Dextrose - Country Brewer Ultrabrew
Hops - 12g Pride of Ringwood
Method - Standard
Date Down - 2/10/04
First Reading - 1.0315
Final Reading - 1.016

Taste - exactly what I was after - a crisp clean Crown Lagerish tasting beer.

Cheers
David

maybe try some different hops next time...saaz or tettnang or hallertauer
not sure whats in the ultra brew kit.probably more than dextrose.maybe change the ultrabrew for a can of llme.

cheers
big d

used ultrabrew(DME mix) when i did kits and it was much better than dextrose. could produce a drinkable brew, particularly if it was allowed to age.

I'd have to agree with big d in that if you try somehting different than pride of ringwood as the hops and use LME you will see significant improvement.

cheers
roach

What yeast did you use? Ive made a couple of lagers but I fermented them at a too high a temp. Thats all fixed now I have a fridge for my fermenter to live in. Good to see you enjoying your 3rd batch, Ive done about 10 now and Im still not completely happy with any of them (Although I dont think we brewers ever are).

well my first step away from the yeast that came with the kit was to use safale s04 or saflager s23. althose these are dry yeasts they are sill much better than the ones that come with the can. i still use em today if my liquid yeast starter is a bit dodgy or need to brew immediately.

sorry morry - answering the wrong question - doh!

i am certainly on the scrounge for a ferment fridge and so lagers are for winter only atm and ales in moderate weather. currently have a fermenter in the laundry trough with a towel rapped around and ice water. down to 22c with the outside temp at 37!

Ultrabrew is 500gms dried malt extract, 250 gms dextrose and 250 gms maltodextrin.

Use whatever hops you like, but traditionaly for a lager, use good German hops, tettnanger, hallertau, or saaz. I have no idea what hops go into crown lager, probably POR or cluster.

Something I don't quite understand--"crisp clean" finish yet FG was 1016, quite high.

Wonder if the FG reading was faulty? FG readings are difficult, so much CO2 coming out of solution. In fact my habit now is to take sample and put it in my lab volumetric measuring cylinder that I use as sample jar. Add hydrometer and go to work. In the evening the sample is flat and a more accurate FG can be read.

Boiling is the way to go, good move! Once you are boiling some wort made from steeped specialty grains and extract you can add hops etc. Next thing you re looking for a mash tun. . .

Jovial Monk

In reply to Morry above.
Sometimes a brewer makes a beer they actually like. It is a case of true romance. It doesn't just happen in the movies.

I love wheat beers, and Belgians. Have brewed and enjoyed many extract/steeped or partial mash (say 50% of extracted malt) wheat beers in the form of Bavarian (style) Hefe, Dunkelweizen, American Wheat (using Yeastlabs American Ale A01 yeast), and Belgian-style Wit (which some consider to be a difficult style). All good (apart from the occasional wild yeast contamination). Great Summer beer; even the Dunkel.
I need to brew more Belgians. Anyone used a Chimay yeast to copy any of the Chimay range? Would appreciate a recipe (ag or otherwise).
Next Wit that I brew may have to be ag, and with a bit of a lactic fermentation.

Any other Wit brewers who would like to identify themselves. Can I get a witness?

Just polished off a stubby of Brugs Tarwebier. I miss it already, and WIHM (wish I had more).

I'm about to post a basic Belgian recipe elsewhere in this forum. Is there likely to be flaming about an extract recipe post?

I have brewed two wits. One was a failure, calculating back from the OG and final volume I reckon I got 2% of the raw wheat to convert. Nice beer, but under gravity and not to style, of course.

Second wit, crushed the spelt grains a bit finer, placed them in the bottom of the mash tun, put the malted barley on top, ran in the strike water throught the outlet of the mash tun. This is called underletting, in this case it meant the wheat got good and warm from all the strike water passing through it and the spelt was successfully gelatinised.

I mashed the grist carefully and for a good 10-15 mins, covered up and let it rest whatever time, 60 or 90 mins whatever. Got complete conversion of the wheat, a nice tangy wit resulted.

Unmalted wheat in the form of grain (i.e. not flaked or torrefied) is not pregelatinised (put into state where the amylose enzymes can convert it) but it does gelatinise at mash temps: I suggest adding the strike water to just the wheat, letting it sit for a couple minutes, then stirring in the barley malt.

Spelt is the best form of wheat to use: organically grown, ancient type of wheat that not only has a husk it has way more flavor than modern wheat. I had zero sparge problems even though I added no rice hulls etc.

Jovial Monk

Back