375 vs 750

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linkn

Reaction score
I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before (I couldn't find it in a search).

Are there any benefits between using 375 vs 750ml bottles? Obviously the extra time to clean and bottle twice as much is a pain but what about the actual end product. Do you get a better product in a larger bottle / keg?

Thanks in advance.

Lincoln

There's a bit of discussion in here:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/70011-yoour-bottle-of-choice/

For what it's worth, I started with 750's but have now moved to 330's. not because I noticed any difference in conditioning, but because I like to empty the entire contents of the bottle in to my glass in one go.

There's probably a technical answer, but I'm not across it.

Cheers

thedragon said:
There's a bit of discussion in here:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/70011-yoour-bottle-of-choice/

For what it's worth, I started with 750's but have now moved to 330's. not because I noticed any difference in conditioning, but because I like to empty the entire contents of the bottle in to my glass in one go.

There's probably a technical answer, but I'm not across it.

Cheers
get a bigger glass :ph34r:

the bigger the vessel the better it conditions in theory but you might not notice much. I'd say it depends what you are brewing - put session beers in 500ml bottles and anything over 7% abv in 333s or whatever your local format is

Some great information and links. Thanks for that. So does anyone use 1.25L PET's? From what I read there's no real reason why you wouldn't. That'd work nicely because I work for a softdrink company and end up with a whole stack of those bottles for free!

BribieG is your recycled PET bottle expert, I'm sure he could give you some good advice.

what colour? brown beer bottles stop light fron "skunking" your hop wotsits in the beer. not sure if plastic would work, to if you keep them in the dark i guess it doesnt matter. if they are sanitised when you get them thats a massive bonus and you can just recycle them rather than clean them. u can even buy a special cap that allows you to force carb plastic bottles - at least i've seen it available here in europe

Yep, as per Bribie and many others, the 1.25L PETs are fine, I've recently taken a shine to 1.5L and 2L PETs. They're great to take to parties and even slip some camouflaged homebrew into functions where it wouldn't ordinarily be permitted.
Like most bottles, they will develop a residue after several uses, but don't scrub the PETs when cleaning, they will scratch- use strong perc (i.e. nappisan) and toss out any that don't clean up properly.

Back