3600w Electric Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirem

Reaction score
Got a price from Helios for a SM36, 3600W(240v) immersion screw in element. $85 plus GST.

IS this a good price?

Kirem

I don't know about price, but do you have the necessary wiring to handle an element that draws that much current? Most household wiring is only designed for appliances that draw up to 10 amps (2400W)-at least plug in appliances anyway. Hardwired things can be rated higher. I think you can sometimes get away with it as household wiring I think might be 16A but I really don't know but I don't think it's a wise thing to do. I'm sure someone else can pipe in with better knowledge.

Just something to look at if your not aware anyway.

That's why you wont find many people in Australia using more than 2400W elements. I get around this with my HLT by using two elements, one 2200W and one 1800W-I just make sure I plug them into different circuits so that there isn't more than a 10amp draw on a single circuit.

Cheers, JD

It's not a problem Justin, I have a few 15A outlets around the place. Got sick of trying to run a welder and having to setup long extension cords to get to a 15A GPO.

I use a 3600W element in my HLT.

Its a hot water system element.

I wouldnt run it all day but it is ok.

I have a mate that uses a 4800 watt elent in his HLT and it makes the lead to the plug go hot and soft. I wouldnt recomend going that high. Great for stepping your mash up though :p

My garage is on the same circuit as the kitchen so i turn it off when the kettle and toaster gets fired up in the morning.

I think 2.5 mm wire which it the minimum for a power circuit is rated at about 25 amps from memmory but i could be wrong.

No problems with it on a 15A circuit though.

I am thinking of running one in to my garage for the brew rig actually.

cheers

kirem,
I dont reckon you can beat the old belle kettle element myself. $10 from bigw and you've got 2400W on tap. enough for a HLT anyway. If you need more just add a second element and find another power circuit to hook into.
If your lucky enough to have a 15AMP outlet, get an electrician to upgrade it to a 20 AMP outlet. It will probably just mean the outlet be replaced and a bigger fuse / CB fitted.

vlbaby.

vlbaby

how many litres do you boil with it and how long does it take?

Kirem

At the moment kirem, i can bring 30 L to the boil from tap water temp in about 1hr 15min. I am planning on building a bigger HLT soon using the same element. I suspect it wont be able to bring 45 L to the boil but should be ok getting to HLT temps. If boiling is what your after you may need 2 elements. I'll keep you posted when i get around to setting it up.

vlbaby.

slip of the keyboard, I was thinking HLT temps. The HLT will have a copper coil in it to act as a heat exchanger.

K

:beer:
Hi Kirem
My HLT holds 130 ltrs I use a 2400 watt element controlled by a thermostat. I also have
a backup 1800 watt element that I can manually switch in and out this is on a different circuit . I do not have any problems with incorrect temps on brew day.
Cheers Altstart

Back