30min boil for IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as you are not using pilsner malts, go for it. Remember to adjust your expected boil off (and post-boil OG) accordingly.

Thanks I had not done that. being the first attempt I guess I just halve it from my normal 1h rate.

I do this mainly for my house pale at the moment to shorten brew day and have had no issues.

Bit of gratuitous advice, 30 minute boils are just fine if you do two of them, sequentially!
Mark

Why?

What changes other than chemistry from the hop contributions?

MHB said:
Bit of gratuitous advice, 30 minute boils are just fine if you do two of them, sequentially!
Mark
Lol. :) Okay, why?

The pro- 30min boil arguments, or more accurately observations, do seem to hold merit. While what I've seen here, and on brulosophy do lack the analytical data to back them up, it clearly "works" for some people.

Other than the reduced effectiveness of DMS production & removal, what are your main concerns regarding the shorter boil time?

Edit: okay, I clearly took far too long to write the above. Will check out those links.

I think its very style dependent and very much a matter of personal taste. If you like aggressive hop characters, you probably won't notice much difference between a 60 minute and a 30 minute boil. If nuances of texture float your boat you'll probably think the 30 minute boil is a wowser plot to make beer undrinkable.

The only answer is to suck it and see.

I don't like a 30min boil I have read and listened to a lot about it. Google The Brewing Network podcast Dr Charley Bamforth does a show on boil and the effects of shortening the boil specific to homebrew. I do a 40min boil on no chill beers but they are my dark beers. I find a 30 min boil turns out a bit cloudy.
Also a 60 min boil is more hop efficient.

If i was going to save an hour or two by cutting a corner i'd be all over it, but seriously half an hour saved? It's not like you have to stand there hovering over it watching it boil. Set some timers and use that time to do something else, clean something, plan your next beer, read about the importance of a good vigorous boil maybe.....

WOW seems like bit of a nerve for some. Cutting down on time has nothing to with my interest in this it just made me
curious after reading the burlosophy article. From what I have read certain grains and styles just will not work with a 30min boil but it seems very split about how well it works. just curiosity more than anything .

Appreciate all the feed back though

Try it and see. Personally I favour 90+ min boils but I like the malt character and rich colour that develops from a good boil.

I was interested in reading about the shorter boil recommended by the LDO camp for delicate beers.

I've done this plenty of times using a general grist of ale malt, wheat and crystal.

Give it a crack.

Will definitely give it a go and see what happens . I may or may not like it but I got curious after reading about it and also it ended up being quite interesting to see how people felt about the whole thing.

same same as tahoose my neighbour but dont know him, done dozens of what i call light simmer 45 minute boils, cant say the beer has been show stoppers, more the quenchy very good type with not much to nil malt character, i dont agree with hop aggression, per boil time hearsay, 100s of brews down the most agressive bitterness is for mine FWH, edit part getting crystal malt character to your brew for a short is near not impossible but why bother, read manticles post

Back