30L Urn with exposed element for BIAB?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart99

Reaction score
I just acquired a 30L Birko Domestic Urn off Gumtree. After researching Birko urns on the web I was hopeful it would have a concealed element, but no such luck. Still for $30 I'm not complaining. So my question is - is the exposed element going to be a problem if I use the urn for BIAB? I understand I'd need to build a stand to keep the grain bag from touching the element and burning but that would be necessary even with a concealed element. Any other problems to be aware of?

Not an urn but i made a false bottom from perforated ss steel sheet for my brew kettle that i made out of a 40l pot, stands about 5cm above the bottom so it has plenty of flow around the element.

I wouldn't bother building a stand for a concealed element but definitely worth taking extra precautions with exposed.

I have a ~30L cheapo urn that I have occasionally used for small batches and this fits perfectly, no scorching yet even with a wheat-heavy grist. I just rest it on top of the tap and a thermowell I added, just above the exposed element 35L BrewZilla / Robobrew Gen3.1 - Boiler False Bottom (Pump Filter)

A metal cake rack or an inverted strainer or colander are apparently good options.

For a stand I was thinking of using a perforated pizza tray and some stainless steel bolts to hold it off the bottom. I saw one like that as part of a brewing setup someone was selling on Gumtree (guess where I get all my brewing gear from) and I already have a pizza tray from Aldi. But wait, if I use the tray for a stand then no more pizza. Hmmm, beer or pizza? Decisions, decisions ....🤣

This?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200814-123313_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200814-123313_Chrome.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 49
For a stand I was thinking of using a perforated pizza tray and some stainless steel bolts to hold it off the bottom. I saw one like that as part of a brewing setup someone was selling on Gumtree (guess where I get all my brewing gear from) and I already have a pizza tray from Aldi. But wait, if I use the tray for a stand then no more pizza. Hmmm, beer or pizza? Decisions, decisions ....🤣
if it's the style of pizza tray we have they are coated aluminium so not something I'd be putting near wort production

The false bottom I linked above is under $20, so it's what I'd buy if I were you as it should be a snug fit. The cheap SS colanders or mixing bowls can do the job, though they might need some help to restrained and stay in place

if it's the style of pizza tray we have they are coated aluminium so not something I'd be putting near wort production

The false bottom I linked above is under $20, so it's what I'd buy if I were you as it should be a snug fit. The cheap SS colanders or mixing bowls can do the job, though they might need some help to restrained and stay in place

Looks ideal for the job. If you have one what diameter is it? If not I'll just send an email to Kegland. Thanks for the suggestion.

Looks ideal for the job. If you have one what diameter is it? If not I'll just send an email to Kegland. Thanks for the suggestion.
I asked them this very question a year or two ago so they put photos on the product page including the measurements - near enough to 290mm

Back