30l Stainless Steel Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzafish

Reaction score
I know that these are often used as a HLT, but I was thinking of adding a stainless steel false bottom/collander in it and making a mash tun.

Have seen them with a temperature control to keep a heat at 60 to 70*C.

If the grain is stirred, it would prevent grain from being burnt I guess.

Any pros or cons with this set up would be appreciated...

As a second question, would I be better off with just an esky?

Cheers,
Jarrad

I use a 30L urn as a mash tun.
I have a wedgewire false bottom which sits around 40 or 50mm above the base, to clear both the element and the outlet tap (now a s/s socket welded into the side). It is great, in that I can fill it with the right amount of strikewater, set a timer and thermostat, and dough-in first thing in the brew day. I have it insulated with polystyrene to minimise heat loss.
The element can be used during the mash to add a little heat, but the grains and bits of husk that get through the flase bottom will scorch if you give it too much heat too quick. I just give a burst of around a minute, drain a few of litres and return to the top of the mash, to move the warmer stuff thorugh the mash (or I run the recirc pump), and then add heat again if desired.
I would not buy an urn again for this, but would use an esky, as there is the added disadvantage with the urn of only having capacity for around 8-9kg of grain which is borderline for a double batch, and out of the question for a double batch at over 5%.

dreamboat

thanks dreamboat,

that is a perfect response

Cheers,
Jarrad

Back