300-400 Litre Brewing System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I forgot to not press the BIAB sensitivity button ;) . Far from a hater of any system, and not wanting to cause an international incident and derailing the thread by any comments on the method, so lets leave things right there ey'.

I priced out doing a 200l system using the Blichmann kit and it was about $4.5k for the brewhouse and another $1500 for 3 x 400l FV's for our test brewery. High Gravity brewing means you can do between 250l and 350l of cast wort (gravity depending) per batch ... hard thing though is managing cast wort temperature and fermentation temp (without a dedicated fermentation room).

The Blichman false bottoms and good milling gives beautiful clear worts as well ...

Scotty

The biggest bilchman kettle I've seen here is 208L how yer getting 250-350L of wort outa that? :eek:

I think having a nano brewery supporting a bigger venture like a taphouse is a great idea. Puts little pressure on the brewery to produce, and if the house tap is empty, there is plenty of other good beer available.

The braumeister will produce pretty consistent wort.

Are the liquor licensing people ok with something like a braumeister? Havent seen this sort of thing (pubs brewing part time on nano systems) done before in Australia.

Stephenkentucky (username) was producing small quantities of commercial beer recently using a 200L BM if I remember correctly.

Whats a 200 litre Braumeister worth?
I reckon they'd be in the 10-15k range from memory.

Would be a good option IMO for a venue such as this. Would definitely love to check it out if I ever head over that side of the bay. Might even have to make it a point to go over there.

Fermentation temps are easy to maintain with conicals with built in heating / cooling systems. They are hardly "crazy" expensive.

Last quote I got was about $3k for decent ones with decent CIP and jackets minus freight or the glycol system. For the price of a few of those you can buy a cool room or chilled shipping container?

Scotty

Stephenkentucky (username) was producing small quantities of commercial beer recently using a 200L BM if I remember correctly.
was this the bloke who last year put his sit link here with old guy in a chair on front. funny site from memory. he was using a 200l brumeister

Last quote I got was about $3k for decent ones with decent CIP and jackets minus freight or the glycol system. For the price of a few of those you can buy a cool room or chilled shipping container?

Scotty

Then they're all at the same temp, individual jackets will give flexibility to have different fermentation temps for different brews. Unless youre always fermenting the same brew at any one time.
3K sounds cheap for 400Lish dimple plate cooled fermenters.

Roy at RWOC in perth had a sec hand 200L breumiester for sale recently. He was using it to make wort kits for a while.

Might stoll be there for sale.

Scotty

Seems like good value to me. Though the ones i am thinking of are fridge wrap units, not glycol systems. They could be run at whatever you want, are free standing and provide flexibility. For a small venue, seems like a good idea to me.

Slightly OT but when brewries talk of say a 10 HL system, does that refer to the maximum final volume of beer able to be produced(ie volume into fermenter or bright beer tanks) or the maximum volume of the kettle or something else?

I think having a nano brewery supporting a bigger venture like a taphouse is a great idea. Puts little pressure on the brewery to produce, and if the house tap is empty, there is plenty of other good beer available.

The braumeister will produce pretty consistent wort.

Are the liquor licensing people ok with something like a braumeister? Havent seen this sort of thing (pubs brewing part time on nano systems) done before in Australia.

The Buffalo Brewery was brewing in a bath at one stage if I remember correctly & they were kosher & picked up awards..............

Hi mate, how did you end up going with your brewery did you get there in the end?

Back