3 Year Old Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banora brewer

Reaction score
Just got some Golding hops from nikos homebrew, I was going to make a best bitter, the hops that I got are dated 2008, how much aa% would they have lost.
Thanks

how have they been stored?

air is the hops enemy.

If they were vac sealed they would be fine. I have used 5 year old hops that were vac sealed and they were still soft and sticky.

If they are dry, and hard and dont smell pungent...... ditch em and get fresh hops!

Life is too short for stale hop beer!

If you just received them I would ask niko the question, he is usually quite good, sounds a bit weird that he would send you 4 year old hops...

I recently got an order containing around 20 different bags of hops from nikohops...of these about 4 - 5 were loose in their (supposedly) vac-sealed bags, the remainder were tightly compacted in their bags and clearlys still vac-sealed. I figured the loose ones might have been punctured in transit and made sure to use those first! the rest are still air-tight!

(ranged from 2009- 2011 varieties)

Customs will usually punture a few bags to make sure that there isn't any other substances tagging along.

I recently got an order containing around 20 different bags of hops from nikohops...of these about 4 - 5 were loose in their (supposedly) vac-sealed bags, the remainder were tightly compacted in their bags and clearlys still vac-sealed. I figured the loose ones might have been punctured in transit and made sure to use those first! the rest are still air-tight!

(ranged from 2009- 2011 varieties)

Im not sure of the details in your case, whether Nico repacks or they are small packs from the start. I get 5 Kg blocks arriving either vacuum packed or Nitrogen flushed, theN2 packs arent a brick like Vacuum packed hops, frankly it appears to make no difference to the hops and the loose N2 flushed ones are easier to work with less pounding on the bench to break up the block.
M

Back