3 tier gravity build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanoontour

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the design stage of making a 3 tier gravity brewing "tree". I'm after some pros and cons to my first question; one or two verticals? Pics attached of different stands I'm looking to build.

Also, if you can see any improvements/pitfalls please let me know. I am space limited so the almost metre wide frame vs a standard 3 vessel stand is my reasoning for building vertical.

Thanks in advance.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Personally I like the look of the bottom stand, you would need to sort out if you are going gas fired or electric. If going gas, you could make the small improvement of using one of the upright post of the frame as your gas manifold. Remember to acount for your chiller if grav feeding to fermenter when deciding on heights for vessels.

Cheers, HLT will be electric, I have a 15A point where I brew. I currently no chill but will future proof it.

someone here posted pics of a collapsable brew stand,cant remember who but it was in later part of last year?.have a look in the gear and equipment forum...cheers....spog...

I like the top one. Simple, less steel. I will be building one similar soon, but 2 tier with a pump.

Both look good to me. I'm looking at doing something similar once I move house and can build a permanent brewery. The first picture looks like a simpler build to me. If you did go down that route I'd be putting some braces on each of the horizontal platforms, just to be sure. I also like the idea of the castors on the top pic. Easy to move. If you do go with castors though, I'd make sure they have brakes. Last thing you want is a run away brew.

Keep us posted with the build.

JD

How about a triangular arrangement of 3 main support poles
- one in front and other two behind and to the sides - should
be pretty solid and with three legs, it would never wobble.

Could maybe even do the MiniSkaf trick where tube sections
fit onto each other to build up a platform.

It's people like you, that make people like me (milk crates, bricks, half cut out tables, old fermenters as mash tuns) sick........ next thing you'll do it all in ss .....
I brew ugly and and proud of it !!!! Good name for a brewery - ugly brew ....
sorry been drinking
cheers
BBB

BBB, know how ya feel, I 2V gravity feed, kitchen bench, chair. hey it works, dont knock it

Went through the same process last year getting into AG. Welded up the attached frame. The frame itself is quite light and easy to move around. Output of the kettle is slightly higher than a cube. Also have the burner lifted up under the kettle off the floor. My only issue is my element was too large for the HLT so it's sitting half way up. I need to buy a bigger pot!

IMG_1201.JPG

Bada Bing Brewery said:
It's people like you, that make people like me (milk crates, bricks, half cut out tables, old fermenters as mash tuns) sick........ next thing you'll do it all in ss .....
I brew ugly and and proud of it !!!! Good name for a brewery - ugly brew ....
sorry been drinking
cheers
BBB
I currently brew this way, urn sits on an ikea stool on the workbench, this feed to my esky on the bench which drains into the keggle sitting on the burner with stand. This way I can have it all set up ready to rock and roll when ever. Also keeps the workbench clear for other stuff.

The hex (herms?) will either be a copper coil inside the HLT. or one of the hermits on a bracket under the mash tun. But only after I get a pump, which will also sit under the mash tun.

Yes the stand will have castors so I can move it to the middle of the shed, and definitely with brakes.

I just got the burner (NASA from Anaconda $130) to power the keggle.

I will order the steel tomorrow, main frame will be 50x50x2mm galv with the side frames 25x25x2mm galv.

Cheers all, will post pics when available

So I got the steel this arvo and started the build. Base is almost sorted. Castors will go in the corners with verticals rising up from the V's. I splayed the legs to increase stability. Base is 1m long and 780mm wide. Inside the V's is 400mm (same diameter as my keggles).
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back