3 Ring Vs Nasa Burners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent

Reaction score
Hey guys
Was about to order a nasa burner with all the bells and whistles from globe imports, about $150 for everything incl postage, but a mate says he has a 3 ring burner that will bring 35 litres to the boil in no time and requires no special reg or hose. I am pretty sure most of you with the nasa burners have had the 3 ring jobs, so I just wanna know the pro's and cons of a nasa burner over the 3 ring. I dont mean to sound tight, but I dont wanna have to drop $150 if there is no real difference. And no, he wasnt offering me the burner, but told me where I can pick one up for $20 bucks odd.
Cheers
Trent

Thats what he told me, but I am not too sure he is reliable. Just wanted to know if I should head for the cheaper option or fork out for the good one. The nasa is only 30 I think, plus 60 for the reg, 34 for the braided hose and 25 for postage
Trent

Most of us who have bought NASA burners have been building and improving their AG system for a fair time.
You can use a two burner very nicely , no need too wizz out and buy all the bells and whistles stuff.
I had a regulator , if I had to buy one of those as well , perhaps I would still have my old gas ring

Batz

a) you should be able to get HP pressure burner cheaper than that including hose and regulator. Check that the 3 ring burner comes with those accessories, although you will still be in front with the 3 ring burner.

B) A 3 ring burner is around 30MJ and my HP burner is 60MJ and you can go higher.

At the end of the day most people seem to brew fine with either.

For some pics and info check out:

brewiki: burners

Thanks fellas
maybe I will start out on a 3 ring burner, and if that doesnt cut the mustard for me, upgrade later. I just have to remember, little steps, little steps :D
Cheers
Trent

Nasa is great better than 3 ring ring

I found with a cheap 3 ring burner (painted black, cheap from an army surplus place) that after only a few brews the cast iron developed big holes in it. With a more expensive 4 ring burner (painted green and from a bbq shop) I have done way more brews and it hasnt developed holes at all. So I think not all cast iron burners are equal.

I've got no doubt the NASA burners are the ducks guts. I'll invest in one someday. Having said that I've got a 3 ring burner and an adjustable pressure reg and it is great in my opinion. Maybe if I was boiling 50-60 litres of wort I might have more trouble but my standard 30 litre boil with my setup is easily quick enough for me. The reg. is the go. The 3 ring with a standard reg is OK but MUCH better with the adjustable reg.

My 2 cents.

Shawn.

I use a 3 ring burner with no HP regulator and for now it suits me fine. Would love to try the NASA but finances don't allow it. The most wort I boil in my converted keg is 30 litres.

C&B
TDA

Use electric :ph34r: :huh: ;) :p :D

I'll back the three ring here as well, although I haven't used one of the NASA's i have a friend with one. My three ring with normal BBQ reg will boil my 35L boils with no worries and it's easily boiling by the time I finish sparging to I can't complain with that (I have to have it turned down low so it's not boiling half way through the sparge). So you'll definitely get by happily with one of these and start making beer.

A NASA's nice, if you've got the means and dough by all means get one but I can assure a three ring will serve you well also. FWIW my three ring was $35.

Cheers, JD

Back