3 Ring Burner & Gas Reg Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowy

Drinker of Kegs, Slayer of Fish & Ruiner of Good F
Reaction score
I currently run a 3 ring cast iron burner with a gas reg that runs 2kg/hr. I have just gone to double btaches (42l) and whilst the 3 ring does the job I was thinking of how I could speed things up a bit boil wise. Is it possible to run a different reg on the burner so that I can get a bit more flow and therefore heat going. If this is an obvious question I apologise in advance as I am a mechanical gumby. Equally if I am about to blow myself up your early advice would be most welcome.

i run a 3 ring with an adjustable med pressure reg i got from g+g. plenty of power for doubles once it gets to boiling i usually back it off most of the way and maintain rolling boil easily.

Rowy

I picked up an adjustable medium pressure reg from auscrown for maybe $30? to get the two ring I used to run going harder. Now using it with an Italian spiral and performing well under it too.

Gents your assistance is appreciated. An adjustable medium pressure reg it is!

May all your brews taste like the tears of an angel :icon_cheers:

If you're going through town, you're welcome to borrow my spiral burner and med press reg to try out combinations.

practicalfool said:
If you're going through town, you're welcome to borrow my spiral burner and med press reg to try out combinations.
Much appreciated bloke! I see that CB is currently out of stock. I might have a look at a couple of camping shops. Of course I should just fork out for a rambo / spiral / mongolian but I'm such a tight ******* I don't want to ditch my 3 ring brewing / crab cooking burner :)

rowy as above tha adjustable reg gives you more grunt, also having the 3ring as close as posible to the bottom of the pot and shrouded on all sides helps reduce heat loss + a lid on the pot really helps to concentrate the heat in the pot to get the boil on quicker . lighting the burner as soon as first runnings enter the kettle can help with heat loss and quicker boil times , just have to be careful not to burn the wort .(caramel may be desirable ?) . never done double boils but i would think a 3ring would be at its upper limits , mainly with getting the rolling boil up and rolling, once boiling i think it could handdle it.

beerhog are you doing doubles ? if so , adjustable reg sounds like the easy answer mate .

over the side electric element could get it boiling quicker but the extra cost would push me towards a bigger burner... mongolian 32 jet burner has always looked the goods to me if i had the urge . but pretty sure an adjustable reg is needed for these anyway ..

I think the Mongolians use a standard reg.

As for borrowing, mine isn't in use atm and prolly not until I've got a keg system (I'm being very cheap atm) up so feel free to use until you get yourself sorted.

I gotta do more with shrouding for sure NN. I get a good rolling boil going, just takes a while to get there. I was late on the o/side heater Batz was selling for $45 dammit. I'll try better shrouding and the adjustable reg I think. Being the hopeless prick that I am I was more worried about blowing myself up :unsure:

practicalfool said:
I think the Mongolians use a standard reg.

As for borrowing, mine isn't in use atm and prolly not until I've got a keg system (I'm being very cheap atm) up so feel free to use until you get yourself sorted.
Thanks PF might take you up on that. A couple of bottles of the usual would needless to say be supplied.

Heh, no worries. Give me a buzz when you come down.

PS: yea, I think the effect of that bit of higher pressure in sucking in more air into the mix is overlooked. Esp because it pushes burners out of the home use varieties. I've run a bog standard auscrown single burner wok burner on my adjustable reg and it goes a beauty.

PPS: sneaky sneaky NN

Latest posts

Back