3 Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian_2005

Reaction score
So, I have finally managed to track down 3 x 50 litre SS commercial Kegs (legally bought) So what do i do next

So far I have only made small BIAB and mainly K&K brews before, on and off for years, and have been thinking about going all grain for some time

I have also managed to track down some SS & Copper parts and other bits and bobs

I also own one burner at the moment

I have no access to welding or cutting equipment, but happy to pay if someone can help me out, and only have basic tools at home, Drill, Grinder etc

What do i do next ???

Any ideas would be a great help. Im located in western Sydney, so if anyone close can help me would be fantastic

Cheers

Ian

At the risk of sounding like a wanker. Use the search function my friend. ;)

I appreciate the comment, and trust me i have done numerious searches, just feel like im going around in circles

I appreciate the comment, and trust me i have done numerious searches, just feel like im going around in circles

Start with one keg and one burner and try BIAB, depressurise the keg and cut out the top with a grinder (plenty of vids on youtube). Use a high speed drill to drill out the hole for a weldless ball lock valve (they work a treat). Use a nylon grain bag and hop bag. Just use a good quality digital thermometer, and No chill cubes.

Thats as far as i have gotten so far myself and don't intend to move to a 3v setup any time soon, the difference between k&k and all grain has been amazing. Very cheap to get into. BIAB is a breeze and very inexpensive, you could always use the other kegs later on to upgrade, put them aside they wont spoil.

Try this site it has a lot of different 3V rigs in it find one you like and click on the link and it will take you to the builders site hopefully with more info.

http://www.brewzilla.nl/?hi

I have bought 3 ball lock valves, and a few other bits and pieces including a 20mm Tungsten Carbide hole cutter

YouTube is great, loads of info.... but maybe im in a bit of information overload, Hence the post

Lay the kegs on their side when your'e depressurising otherwise you may wear the contents...

So, I have finally managed to track down 3 x 50 litre SS commercial Kegs (legally bought) So what do i do next

So far I have only made small BITB and mainly K&K brews before, on and off for years, and have been thinking about going all grain for some time

I have also managed to track down some SS & Copper parts and other bits and bobs

I also own one burner at the moment

I have no access to welding or cutting equipment, but happy to pay if someone can help me out, and only have basic tools at home, Drill, Grinder etc

What do i do next ???

Any ideas would be a great help. Im located in western Sydney, so if anyone close can help me would be fantastic

Cheers

Ian

1. Depressurise the kegs. Research how to do this safely.

2. Cut the tops out. Research how to do this easily.

3. Drill and fit a tap to at least 1 pot. Research the various methods and tools suggested.

4. Get a BIAB bag (or research making one) and research BIAB. Make beer using this method and one pot (plus your burner etc).

5. Meanwhile research 3 V and herms and rims etc and see if that appeals. If it does, use your other kegs and fit taps and any other required paraphenalia and set your system up. If not, sell them or give them away

Thanks for the replies

I have depressurised all the kegs, without wearing the contents !!

I am also in the process of making a jig to cut a circle from the tops

Already have a BIAG bag, so this will be the first Keg to be converted, and will do research on converting the others

This is a great site, that i have never found before, very usefull. So thanks heaps Punkal

I would cut the holes in each keg slightly different sizes. So you can have 2 lids to fit 2 kegs.
Much easier then sourcing other lids or welding tags on each cutout. Plus you wont need a lid for your boiler

I have a few 20 litre pots from Big W with glass lids that i was planning on using for the kegs

Thanks for all the reply's i cant wait to get started

But this will be a long project !

Use a high speed drill to drill out the hole for a weldless ball lock valve (they work a treat).

I have bought 3 ball lock valves...

At risk of sounding like a complete grammar nazi....it's not ball lock valve. They are just ball valves. They are a valve (tap) with a "wait for it".....a hollow ball that closes the flow when the lever is pulled.

The term "Ball Lock" is starting to get into kegging accessory territory.

Plus you wont need a lid for your boiler

Yes you will.

Not for the actual "boil" but who wants to stand there waiting for the boil to start when you are losing all that potential heat energy out the top of your pot 'cause you haven't got a lid for it.

Use a lid to approach boil, then when she's firing.....lid off.

Thanks for the replies

I have depressurised all the kegs, without wearing the contents !!

I am also in the process of making a jig to cut a circle from the tops

Already have a BIAG bag, so this will be the first Keg to be converted, and will do research on converting the others

This is a great site, that i have never found before, very usefull. So thanks heaps Punkal

No problem jan_2005 there was an old thread that had this link in it i searched for that thread using the Google search function (top left of this site) but I know what I was looking for so it was not hard to find.
The site is ok some of the people are just showing off there bling but there are a few on there who really want to and like helping others out.
My advice would be have a look and see what you like with the different systems then build a very basic system (heat, wort out (ball valve, pickup tube and maybe even a false bottom or hop gard) and finally a thermometer) make a few beers off this rig and when you understand what you are doing and everything starts falling into place (like hitting all the recipes gravity readings and getting the right volumes into the fermenter) then upgrade the brew rig.

Scope out any brewers living close to you and go see them brew. Check out their rig. Ask questions about what any particular thing does.

Compare options.

Back