3% Hydrogen Peroxide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Does anyone know where i could buy some bulk H202 to sterilise my brew gear? I think this stuff is tops as you dont need to rinse with it. Its very expensive from the H.B. Shops when sold as SANITSE or The other Morgans product.
Also when using yeast from a commercial bottle if you put a couple of capfulls in your 1040 wort the H202 breaks down and leave one oxygen molecule so its great for airating the wort before adding the dregs from your favourite bottle conditioned beer.
Anyway it must be cheap as chips in a bulk form, just dont know where to get it.

Whats a PBE?

Pocket Beer Engine. A 10cc syringe (without the needle). Used to bubble up green/undercarbonated beers. Just draw some of the beer up and squirt it back into the glass.

The pharmacy way is a bit dear as they only sell in little bottles (has to buy some to pickle some brass). You need to find another source, maybe a hair dresser may have bulk hydrogen peroxide, either that or a lab supply place perhaps.

If you find somewhere post it as I wouldn't mind a bit more.

Cheers, JD

This was used in water filters , I am sure you are correct SJW , someone sells it in bulk at a good price , just have to find them

Batz

Sodium percarbonate is a good source of H2O2 in solution, although I wouldn't recommend adding it to beer. But for washing your gear, No Name Nappy Soaker is good and cheap.

SJW said:
Also when using yeast from a commercial bottle if you put a couple of capfulls in your 1040 wort the H202 breaks down and leave one oxygen molecule so its great for airating the wort before adding the dregs from your favourite bottle conditioned beer.
Are you claiming to have tried the "peroxide for aeration" experiment or is this theoretical?

As for sanitation - it is not clear to me that H2O2 is as good a sanitizer as my mum would have led me to believe. If dairies or breweries used it then I could believe that it was a cost effective sanitizer. Maybe they do but I have never heard of it.

As mentioned in another post, sodium percarbonate releases up to 15% H2O2 into solution and it can be bought in bulk. I keep it well away from my beer even though it decomposes in to sodium carbonate and oxygen.

By all means try it and report back your results.

There are a few links on this topic that IIRC have some stuff on H2O2 at:
http://www.metrak.com/wiki/homebrew/moin.c...ngAndSanitation

I use and recommend phosporic acid as a sanitizer, others swear by Iodophor.

psst, some of us still use bleach and boiling f*&king water... :)

GSRman said:
psst, some of us still use bleach and boiling f*&king water... :)
Funny - I just tried some bleach myself on a 20L bucket with lid that had all sorts of bits and pieces, misc tubing, airlocks etc.

I can't say it worked yet but I have a fair idea, it is apparently very effective. My only issue with it is that I still have to rinse it all and boiling water sucks.

With the Phosporic Acid what % do u use?

SJW said:
With the Phosporic Acid what % do u use?
I think it's 1ml per litre of water, off the top of my head. I could be wrong.

Told you I was wrong, I'm thinking of Iodophor. Sorry.

hydroponics shops often sell peroxide solutions for oxygenation, not sure what % though

Back