3 Gal Keg V's 5 Gal - Should I Get One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have been on holidays for two weeks and tried quite a few beers and pubs between Brisbane and Melbourne and back again - and now its time to get my kegs happening!

I'm literally about to order (in the next 24-48 hours) and am tossing up whether to get four of the 5 gal kegs, or three 5 gals and a 3 gal. The later option will cost more, but maybe a small one might be good to have around the place and for trialling out new brews.

So the question:

a) Is it worth having a 3 gal for trials
B) Can I use a 5 gal with only 3 gal and gas up the rest?
c) Is the extra $25 worth it to have one smaller keg?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

P.S. I have made up an excel worksheet to calculate the package costs from Brewerschoice and the Aust options.... if anyone would like a copy PM me - you type in the quantities and the exhange rate and it will spit out the total in Au$ - I like to know what its actually going to cost!

IMHO I would get at least 2 x 3 gallon kegs. Apparently the world supply of 3 gall kegs is running low, and so if you were gonna get 3 galls get them now. 3 gall kegs offer flexibility in splitting batches(eg different yeasts, one to age, one to drink now), great for take aways, and gte quicker turnover with variety on tap. Also I can fit 2 x 5 galls and 2 x3 galls in my 300litre bar fridge.

But i think racetrack lids for 3 galls are the only ones available, but from feedback on this site they seem ok.

5 galls are relatively more easily available, so if you are going to get more down the track get all 3 gallon kegs now. Otherwise if this is going to set you up for quite a while, then I would recommend getting 2 of each.

Tho I thought 2 x 5 gall kegs would do me nicely, but now have many more!! :eek: :chug:

cheers
Roach

Matt

the 3 Gal kegs rock!
They are perfect for going to partys/picnics whatever. If you definitely don't want to be portable then don't worry, as you say you can just half fill a 5 Gal keg.
However if you think you might want one down the track i would get one (or 2) now as supplys seem to be drying up.

Personally i would get 2 x 5Gal and 2 x 3Gal. If you don't like the 3Gal you will EASILY be able to sell it in Australia and probably make a few buck too.

Hoops

Thanks guys - I'm sold! Two 3 gal and two 5 gal for me!

On an aside note, I got my new DA style taps last night - bought them off ebay. Bargain at 47 each including snaplock fitting and delivery! So the bar is starting to appear! yay! At first one snap lock fitting wouldn't fit either tap, but a little carefull sanding on the inside of the lip and around the dimples on the tap soon fixed that.

Matt

You certainly won't regret it.
At least with 2 x 3Gal you can split a batch between the 2 if you want, so you will be able to have 3 batches on the go at once.

Make sure you read up all of the keg guys posts. There were issues sending I think more than three kegs in a box from their RCBequip store.

Via the ebay store that went through a different post office, they could send out four in a box.

Via the regular website store http://www.rcbequip.com the post office that they used would only ship smaller boxes.

You don't want to expect one box and then recieve the shipping on two boxes.

Latest posts

Back