3.5kg fire extinguisher converted and full $150.00?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cube

SAY MY NAME, BITCH
Reaction score
Just after an idea if this is a good buy? It is from a fire extinguisher place and he converts these to home brew use and of course fills them, tests them and certs them on the gold coast :)

Cube said:
Just after an idea if this is a good buy? It is from a fire extinguisher place and he converts these to home brew use and of course fills them, tests them and certs them on the gold coast :)
And who fills them and at what cost? This is a big consideration when buying a CO2 cylinder.

Sounds alright to me, provided it is all safe and the refills are conveniently accessable you are on a winner.
How much for a refill?

Cheers,
D80

Barry R said:
And who fills them and at what cost? This is a big consideration when buying a CO2 cylinder.
The guy fills them at the shop. He currently fills my small one for 10 bucks. A fill I didn't ask but he is a good chap and will be priced well especially if gold coast AHB'ers come in droves :) Basically I'm after a 'yeah good deal' or 'nar shit deal' on the converted cylinder as as I'm having trouble finding prices on this type of cylinders to compare.

Cheers.

The price is good mate.
A 2.6 KegKing is ~$180.
3.5 for $150 and accessible refils is a no brainer mate.

Other brewers on here using the same.

Cheers,
D80

IMHO $150 converted & filled would be a good deal for a 5.00Kg CO2 stinguisher but as long as you're happy cube?
I suppose you'd have to compare the price offered to that of a cheaper/larger cylinder which may or may not necessitate a trip to Brisbane for a refill?

Make sure the stinguisher not out of date before buying.

Stinguishers MUST be tested & stamped every five years.

PS --- No harm in contacting EverSafe at Morningside for a better deal if you're keen?

i think good ish deal.

local extinguisher place in radelaide does 3.5kg's for around 130-150, i paid 170 for my 5...

Ok just an update on this as others may want to know. Got a full newly converted as in new fittings and blow off valve 5kg cylinder for $150.00 today. Test stamped as of today as well. Couldn't be happier. Blazetech in Labrador is the company.

Cube said:
Ok just an update on this as others may want to know. Got a full newly converted as in new fittings and blow off valve 5kg cylinder for $150.00 today. Test stamped as of today as well. Couldn't be happier. Blazetech in Labrador is the company.
Any pics of the cylinder you have Cube.
I couldn't find anyone in Oz prepared to install a fitting on the extinguisher I had to take my regulator.
I'm getting shafted big time renting from BOC, over $15.00 per month rental on my VT, 10kg cylinder.
I've had it for three years & still got gas but have paid three years rental on the *******.

Crusty said:
I'm getting shafted big time renting from BOC, over $15.00 per month rental on my VT, 10kg cylinder.
Ouch!
I have an 'unofficial' G size cylinder.. 40ish liters?
Paid $400 up front but at least someone near me is happy to swap it for their full 'official' cylinders.

Crusty said:
Any pics of the cylinder you have Cube.
I couldn't find anyone in Oz prepared to install a fitting on the extinguisher I had to take my regulator.
I've had it for three years & still got gas but have paid three years rental on the *******.
Untitled.jpeg

Good one cube,He's been around for a while that bloke I think.
Is that 1/2 bspp thread on the valve or what regulator do you use on it?

wombil said:
Good one cube,He's been around for a while that bloke I think.
Is that 1/2 bspp thread on the valve or what regulator do you use on it?
Micromatic. Fits no problems.

Perfect timing. I forgot what they were called and am in need of a refill. Just spend an hour searching for the name of the place on google and found this post....shoulda just searched AHB instead, would've been quicker

I just rang Blazetech & they sell converted cylinders for home brew use in sizes 2kg, 3.5kg & 5kg. They are all the same price @ $150.00 + $7.00 per kg for the gas.
I think this is a great buy & will be getting a 5kg one for the brew fridge & a 3.5kg one for the planted fish tank.
Cheers Cube............................. :beerbang:

Glad to be of help. Forgot to mention the smaller bottles :). Be ready for having the cash in hand. No eftpos there. They have a nice setup there. Will be my filling station from here on out.

I gave him a call on Friday too.

Yup, $7 per kg and $40 for the valve to convert from a std extinguisher if you've already got one. So, $150 + gas for one of his is a great price IMHO

Cannibal, it's $150.00 including the gas. Every bit helps :)

I was being charged $10 for a 540 grm fill so obviously there is a minimum charge.

Back