2v Rim Job

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbrewer76543

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been away from the brewing scene for a while since "working on the mines up norf" then moving to sunny old England where the abundance of hand pulled beers means I don't need to brew

Anyhoo, I still ponder the ultimate rig and for me, semi automation is desirable to minimise time input so I can brew on a weekday

This is my latest doodling:
Brewing_System_2_Vessel_01.JPG

The chart below could be used as a guide to creating recipes, based on changing efficiency with no-sparge method. Orificely I could create my own chart for my system once up and running.
Brewing_System_2_Vessel_02.JPG

Is there any advantage in using the RIMS tube rather than using the kettle as the only heat source? You can gravity feed from the mash to the kettle, and pump from the kettle outlet back to the top of the mash. After the mash out, the PID trips the pump (I assume you could do this from the alarm output rather than closing the solenoid valve) and cranks up to 100 degrees. Removes the requirement for the solenoid and float valve as well.

TSMill, thanks for the ideas

My thinking was to use the RIMS tube for fine control of the mash temperature. Using the kettle to control mash temps may end up in overshooting temps due to the higher volume of liquid in the kettle as opposed to the RIMS tube...

Also, you'd need to balance the inflow to the kettle with the outflow back to the mash tun, to keep a constant liquid level in the mash tun... A Blichman Autosparge could help with that though

The PID would be tuned to the system, so temperature over shoot not an issue, but depending on volume ramp times may be excessive.

I installed a hop bazooka screen near the top of my mashtun, with a hose back into the kettle. With pump rate slightly higher than mashtun drainage rate, the excess flow bypasses the mash and straight back into the kettle.

You suckered me into viewing this thread with the promise of a rim job. I'm now very, very angry, as no rim job was forthcoming. HHMMM!!

you wouldn't be the first that thought this thread wasn't going to be about brewing.

by the way, the screenshot of your name next to the thread title was very amusing to me..

Back