2nd Hop Plant- What To Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
1. Pride of Ringwood
2. Halletau
3. Tettnang
4. Nugget
5. Cluster
6. Victoria

I have a Halletau planted in the garden as of last night. I would like aroma / flavour as i will use them more. The problem with the bittereing is you dont really know your Alpha % making a bit of trial and error before you almost know.

Anyone have an opinion?

they say Tettnang is Fuggles or very close to it i'm told.

Dunno sorry Ben, about this year's choices. I'm gonna wait until next year and pick up a cascade and fuggles with any luck. What sorts of beers do you want to brew?

I am told the Tettnang is fuggles (so a America chemist or somthing was saying , this was told to me by a home brewer) dunno if its true but IF you like fuggles this it might be the go!

I dont really like it so i'd love a saaz, cascade etc

I have the halletau and thats great for me

I brew mostly lagers
pils
few wheat
stout
and want to start with ales

Maybe i will get the Tettnang if its like Fuggles for the stouts etc....

Does any one know much about the others? I havnt heard much about them
4. Nugget
5. Cluster
6. Victoria

ive heard that about fuggles and tetts too.
i think what the go is though there grown in different climates and soils and thats what gives them there different taste for example tetts is spicy and fuggles is earthy and mild.most hop varieties have different leaf and cone shapes.
fresh POR are great in ales. grumpies getting a test system so you can send a sample and have the aa% tested for a small price.

i just used a hop called santiam in my lawnmower beer it is grown in the use has nice arom and i got it from jovial monk it spos to be the us versian of tettnang it smell great

I just started a keg of lager that i used fuggles in (had nothing else when i thought i did, thinking it couldn't be all that bad)

well

this is one of the hardest beers to drink as a lager ohhh its so strong hehe

I HATE fuggles as of this day on!!!

I imagin it ok in dark ales or stouts but NOT lagers

i cant wait to finish it

other wise the lager is clean smooth and great....... apart from the FUGGLES falvour / aroma

YUCK YUCK YUCK :angry:

ben
but if they were tettnanger (suposedly the same plant)the beer would be a lot more drinkable.maybe even great

next year there will be a huge amount of hops available check grumpies brew shop for rhizomes.

I am with you Ben...

Fuggles si not for me...

If tettnanger is like fuggles then they can keep it, and they may only go into stouts and ales..... just not mine! Grot !

GMK wanna finish this keg for me ..... i feel sick thinking about it :)

(really not as bad as i just made out but still fuggles never again not for me)

Back