2nd brew - Quick ferment & fg too high?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregMeady

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Temperature is a problem I know, I'm in toowoomba, kinda housebound and thought brewing would be a good hobby, as I do like a beer or 10. Getting around is a bugger so have to buy stuff online, so it's hard to keep the temperature under about 26c in my newly bought fermenter. Included the fermenter, helt belt, bench capper, all the garb for $150.

1st brew went off without a hitch, new gear, OG 1.038 > FG 1.004 - - - now bottled and waiting.

HERE'S MY PROBLEM I need advice on:
On my 2nd brew,
decided to up the anty a little to try and add a little more alcohol hahaha

Here's what I used:
Coopers Real Ale
Brew enhancer 2
250gr honey

OG was 1.043
FG was 1.010 (should it go lower? was thinking about 1.005 or...)

Airlock activity stopped after day 3

FG has been at 1.010 for 2 days

After physically searching the kit and extracts section, I can find similar problems, but not this

I have tried swirling the fermenter, look out the airlock last FG test and peaked in, and all I see is a scattering of krausen ( likes little patches on top)

Also the sample for the FG smells very cidery, Should I just chuck it? and put in down to experience never to add honey again? or something? I'm at a loss. I hesitated in asking as I wanted to go back through what was already posted on the same topic, but couldn't really find my answer.

I am bottling in glass, that's why I want to make sure it's finished

1.010 a bit high? What say you?

Cidery temps can often be caused by high temp fermentation, but lagering can drive some of it off. Prevention is better than cure though, get your fermentation temps down or brew a saison.
OG of 1.043 sounds a little low considering you used the brew enhancer as well as additional honey (which is 90-95% fermentable), but someone with more kit experience can chime in on that. You're right to be hesitant about bottling.

Your primary concern is infection; how does it taste, besides the cidery-ness?

i would say the beer is done if the fg is stable for memory there is maltodextrine in the be2 i could be wrong but that is unfermentable leaving a higher fg., at 26 degrees it will ferment out quick and its most likely the source of the cidery flavours as well. what are you doing towards keeping tings cool? try putting the fermenter in a tub of water with a towel wrapped around it to wick up the water and a small fan to help cool it evaporativly. you can also try putting some frozen bottles of water in the tub to keep the temp down as well, you ideally want it at 18 degrees or so for a cleaner tasting beer.

Just took another reading (the 3rd day) and it is still at 1.010

Day 6 overall

mtb said:
Cidery temps can often be caused by high temp fermentation, but lagering can drive some of it off. Prevention is better than cure though, get your fermentation temps down or brew a saison.
OG of 1.043 sounds a little low considering you used the brew enhancer as well as additional honey (which is 90-95% fermentable), but someone with more kit experience can chime in on that. You're right to be hesitant about bottling.

Your primary concern is infection; how does it taste, besides the cidery-ness?
The cidery smell seems to have subsided a little. This time I tasted the sample, and through inexperience the only way I could describe it is day old warm beer from the longneck you woke up next to hahaha - no hot toungue to it or anything

I reckon if you cold crash (ie refrigerate) for a week or two, most of the cidery flavours will dissipate. You're probably right to bottle, but if you have access to PET bottles, use them instead. When I bottled my first potentially dodgy batch I stored them in a disused fridge in case of explosion (thankfully there was none), but that's worth considering too, storing somewhere separate from meatbags such as yourself & others

mtb said:
I reckon if you cold crash (ie refrigerate) for a week or two, most of the cidery flavours will dissipate. You're probably right to bottle, but if you have access to PET bottles, use them instead. When I bottled my first potentially dodgy batch I stored them in a disused fridge in case of explosion (thankfully there was none), but that's worth considering too, storing somewhere separate from meatbags such as yourself & others
Thanks for the quick relply.

Being that I just started, I don't have anywhere to cold crash it. So will I try to bring the temp down as much as I can, doing what BEERHOG suggested, and leave in the fermenter for another week? Then I can get some pet bottles, because I only have glass atm.

Sorry for what must seem like painful questions.

Not painful questions at all, your situation is unique enough to ask the question outright. Yes, I think BEERHOG is on the money.. the beer could still turn out crap but at least you won't have bottle bombs and you can drive off as many of the cidery flavours as possible

mtb said:
Not painful questions at all, your situation is unique enough to ask the question outright. Yes, I think BEERHOG is on the money.. the beer could still turn out crap but at least you won't have bottle bombs and you can drive off as many of the cidery flavours as possible
Ok will do. Thanks guys & will update the thread with my progress :)

Just an update:

I waited another 1-2 days then bottled. Let it sit for the best part of 2 weeks, then had a opened a longneck & had a taste, then another taste, then anoth.... you get the point.

Now it's all gone hahaha :ph34r:

It turned out really well in the end, I plan on making this one again, as I quite like the hint of honey that came through.

So thanks guys for all your help (BEERHOG and a special thanks to mtb)

Oh & I think I need another fermenter & more bottles :lol:

Cheers :chug:

I would be looking at some second hand fridges and a temperature controller before you start buying any more equipment. $0 - $50 for the fridge and ~$40 for an ink bird controller. It's the only way to better beer. Or start brewing saisons like someone else suggested.

Also, a heat belt? In Toowoomba?

BKBrews said:
I would be looking at some second hand fridges and a temperature controller before you start buying any more equipment. $0 - $50 for the fridge and ~$40 for an ink bird controller. It's the only way to better beer. Or start brewing saisons like someone else suggested.

Also, a heat belt? In Toowoomba?
Point taken about the fridge and controller.

As regards to the heat belt, it came with the kit, and it does get a bit chilly here in Toowoomba in winter. Wont use it until I have to though.

Latest posts

Back