2nd Brew - Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_W

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am racking my first ever brew tomorrow and want to leap straight into my 2nd using some of the things I have picked up through the forums.

I want to make sure there is nothing glaringly wrong with what I am going to do as well as ask a few questions...

Ok... using Morgans Pilsener kit with 1kg lme, 20g saaz hop pellets, 200g Crystal Grain (cracked), packet of safale 04.

I just want to check the method...

soak grains in sack in 2L of just boiled water for 15-20 minutes - take out bag and lme dissolve and boil for 15 minutes or so. Off heat and add saaz pellets - stir through and add to fermenter. Top up fermenter to cold water - add yeast. Will rack into 2nd ferment after primary has finished.

Can I please ask for advise on both the best starting temp (is that pitching temp?) and also best temperature to ferment at?? I have read that the temps given in the kits are over what most recommend. Also what is the best temp for secondary brew?

Also any comments on the brew itself - whether it is likely to be good, bad or downright ugly :D

Thanks all.

Yours in addiction :chug:

Mark_W - Looks like you are at the same stage as me. I'm racking my first brew tomorrow and then I am planning my second to be somethign like the following.
Let me know how it all goes for you, good luck!

SD :)

=============

Ingredients
- Morgan's Golden Saaz Pilsner
- Morgans unhopped extra pale malt extract
- 1 Packet of SAFALE S-04
- 30g Saaz hop pellets

Directions
Add the malt and 20g of the hop pellets to 2 litres water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes
After 20 minutes, add the rest of the hops, cover and turn off the heat. Leave it for another 20 minutes. Cool in the sink with water around it.
Meanwhile, mix up the can as usual, dissolving it all in boiling water and adding to the fermenter.
Add in the malt and hops mixture to the fermenter.
Top the fermenter up to 22 litres, getting the temperature to about 20C.
Pitch the yeast, seal the fermenter and put it somewhere cool. About 14-16C would be fine. It might take a full two weeks to ferment because of this lower temp, then another few days to clear.

OK -so4 is a an ale yeast - pilsner needs a lager/pilsner yeast.

I would leave out the crystal grains and just use the LME and get some S189 or K97 or Wyeast 2008/2007 - but need to keep the temp under 12 for the wyeast.

Use the saaz for dry hopping and ferment in primary for 2 weeks - and rack into secondary - dry hop and then coldcondition for 4 weeks.

yes, use a lager yeast , maybe safale s23, and remember to rehydrate it or better still make 1l starter. And leave out the crystal.

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
yes, use a lager yeast , maybe safale s23, and remember to rehydrate it or better still make 1l starter. And leave out the crystal.
see the problem with using safale s23 is the temperature, if you do not have a fridge to keep the temp down you cannot use this yeast.. correct?

I have managed to keep the temperature on average to 18-22 for the last week (SAFALE S-04) however this was a struggle in this QLD heat.

I used frozen water bottles, does anyone have any other tips to try and keep the temperature down, would love to be able to use the correct yeast for a pilsner.

Thanks for the advice guys.

GMK - Can you explain "dry hopping"

Vlad - what is rehydrating?? I don't think I'm up to making starters yet?!?

Sorry guys I'm still a bit new to all this.

sluggerdog said:
Vlad the Pale Aler said:
see the problem with using safale s23 is the temperature, if you do not have a fridge to keep the temp down you cannot use this yeast.. correct?

I have managed to keep the temperature on average to 18-22 for the last week (SAFALE S-04) however this was a struggle in this QLD heat.

I used frozen water bottles, does anyone have any other tips to try and keep the temperature down, would love to be able to use the correct yeast for a pilsner.
OK

Method i use to keep temp down only works if u have an understanding wife/partner.

1/3 fill the laundry trough with cold water.
get 4-6 1.25ltr Pet Bottles - fill with water and freeze.
Place full fermenter in the laundry trough.
Rotate 2 frozen pet bottles thru the water as they melt. ie keep 2 frozen bottles in there at all times.

This should work.

Mark_W said:
Thanks for the advice guys.

GMK - Can you explain "dry hopping"

Vlad - what is rehydrating?? I don't think I'm up to making starters yet?!?

Sorry guys I'm still a bit new to all this.
If u do a search on th eforum for dry hopping - you will find heaps of references.

I use 2 methods:

1/ Place hops in a ss mug - pour in boiling water - stir and leave for 2-3mins.
Get an intial green grass aroma - volatiles u dont want - then get the hop aroma.
Add to the secondary and stir thru with out aerating.

2/ Place hops directly into secondary fermenter. Add some boilling water - swirl and leave for 2-3mins.
Then rack from the primary to the secondary straight onto the hops.

Hope this helps.

Ok - well i just finished racking the first brew (what a disaster -lol. Think I probabaly ruined it with too much mixing with air but we will see)

Anyway.... I decided I would give the dry hopping a go... mixed up the hops with boiling water and left for a few minutes. I ended up with what is best described as a green "stinking sludge".

Does this sound right to those who have done it??

lol - I was racking into a 20 litre jerry can - spilt a stack of this 'sludge' in and around the hole where the cap fits.... some of it stuck to the (in)side of the jerry can... meanwhile here I am cursing and swearing and not knowing what the hell I was doing with my wife in the background going ballistic about the mess, the smell and threatening to divorce me if I woke our 2 year old up who was having his afternoon sleep.

Anyway - some reassurance would be nice fellas :p

Mark_W said:
Ok - well i just finished racking the first brew (what a disaster -lol. Think I probabaly ruined it with too much mixing with air but we will see)

Anyway.... I decided I would give the dry hopping a go... mixed up the hops with boiling water and left for a few minutes. I ended up with what is best described as a green "stinking sludge".

Does this sound right to those who have done it??

lol - I was racking into a 20 litre jerry can - spilt a stack of this 'sludge' in and around the hole where the cap fits.... some of it stuck to the (in)side of the jerry can... meanwhile here I am cursing and swearing and not knowing what the hell I was doing with my wife in the background going ballistic about the mess, the smell and threatening to divorce me if I woke our 2 year old up who was having his afternoon sleep.

Anyway - some reassurance would be nice fellas :p
Sounds like you are my twin today. ha ha ha.. (I just finished racking my first too)

I did the hops at the start in the primary and "green "stinking sludge" is how I would describe it too.. hehe

The air was a problem hey, next time I think i will get a longer hose, but other then that I think it went ok, fingers crossed..

Now the waiting game.. :angry:

Good Luck
SD B)

Mark W

Cant give you any reasurance on the wife and divorce :D

But the green sludge is what you end up with.

Latest posts

Back