2nd Attempt Aipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
American IPA
Recipe by iamozziyob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe Specs
Original Gravity Final Gravity Colour (SRM / EBC)
Bitterness Alcohol by Volume
1.059 1.012 5.4 / 10.6 59.6 IBU 6.1%

Brewhouse Specs
Recipe Type Batch Size Boil Time Efficiency
All Grain 23.0 Litres / 6.1 Gal 60.0 min 70.0%

Fermentables

Name Type SRM Percentage Amount
Pale Malt Grain 2.0 72.00 % 4.50 Kg
Pilsner Grain 1.7 16.00 % 1.00 Kg
Wheat Malt Grain 2.0 8.00 % 0.50 Kg
Caramalt Grain 25.0 4.00 % 0.25 Kg

HopsName AA% Amount Use Time

Cascade 7.8% 10.00 g Boil 60 mins
Pacific Jade 15.2% 15.00 g Boil 60 mins (Never used this)
Amarillo 8.6% 20.00 g Aroma 20 mins
Centennial 9.7% 16.00 g Aroma 10 mins
Tettnanger 4.0% 15.00 g Aroma 10 mins
Hallertau Aroma 8.1% 15.00 g Aroma 0 mins
Simcoe 12.2% 9.20 g Boil 0 mins

66.0 C Infusion 60 min

So Ive got alot of bits and pieces of Hops left over from various other exploits and was thinking of throwing the lot into an AIPA... Its a bit light on color but not too concerned with that.

Would you dry hop this?

Strike water heating...

What are you trying to achieve with the hops?

To me that looks like adding baked beans and coca cola to your cornflakes.

You need maltiness to balance the 59 IBU.

I'd drop the Pils Malt, and substantially reduce or drop the Wheat Malt, and replace it with Munich.

And as Nick JD said about the hops.

to get rid of the bloody things ;)

Ive had them all sitting round for a while so want to be rid of them, best way I thought was to make a mish mash AIPA

hmmm, might I be better off then, with the grains I have on hand for this dropping it back to an APA @ about 42 IBU's??

Ill see what hops I can drop... I dont like just throwing hops out though and if I dont use them now I might as well do...

I agree with Nick in that you might want to rethink the hops a bit. If you're set on getting rid of some bits of hops I'd probably rearrange what is used for bittering and what is used for aroma. I'd use the cascade as a late hop and use the tettnanger for bittering. I've heard that Centennial is very similar to cascade so I'd use them similarly to avoid too much flavour confusion/blurring. I don't know much about Simcoe but I maybe errenously think of it as similar to chinook.

I'd personally use the tettnanger and pacific jade for bittering. The centennial and cascade at 10 or 20 mins. The hallertau at 10 or 20 mins and the amarillo dry hopped. I don't really know where to put the Simcoe. I think there are too many similarish but not close enough hops there. I think one or 2 of the american hops and the hallertau late would work well, but you don't have enough of any one assuming that's what you have of each of them. Maybe add the simcoe at 30 mins, the cascade and centennial at 10 with the hallertau and dry hop with the amarillo? That could possibly end up less muddled in terms of flavour.

For an american IPA I'd be adding more late hops than you have anyway. You've got an apa with a high ibu in my opinion, but that isn't neccesarily a bad thing. The americans like to go a bit over the top with most things they do.

Hey mate, i would tweak the hops in this fashion:

Bittering- Hallertau and (if needed Pacific Jade)
Flavour- Amarillo and Centennial
Aroma/Dry hop - Simcoe and Tettnanger (and Pacific Jade if theres leftover)

I dont see anything the matter with the grain bill, cept id maybe shoot for more like 40 ish IBUs.

Confused yet?

I do a lot of AIPAs and have used those American hops extensively and know exactly what they'll give you.

Anyway drop the tett and the hallertau all together, they have no place in an AIPA.
Keep things simple. Bitter with whatever the f*ck you like at 60 to over 60ibu. Then finish @10 min with as much simcoe and centennial as you can get a hold of. Then dry hop the cascade and Amarillo. Done.

Also drop the pilsner malt. Pale and crystal only.

i gather Ozzyob is brewing a bitza to use up loose ends, and short of going out and getting more late hops and upping the crystal i'd keep the IBU down lower, for balance sake.

The mix of hops "could" possibly make it a "dumper-brew". If you need to get rid of some of the hops, then chuck them inthe bin. No point spoiling a beer with a mish-mash of different hops that will definately not compliment each other.

C-hops (ie start with C) go together.

High alpha "generally" should be used for bittering.

The tetts and Hallertau are out of place in the mix you have there.

tnd

I cant see a problem with using Hallertau for bittering, I also dont see 15g of tettnanger at flame out ruining this beer.

I'd only be chucking hops out if theyre old.

Just noticed the OP was going for aIpa rather than APA. so as argon said, bitter away. and id further up the crystal malts for balance. If the said hop bill is all we've got to work with then i see it aiming more for APA.

I agree, either Tetts and hallertau and not use the others, or use the others without tetnhall.

Save the ones not used for another brew if they are fresh (chance are OP has some hops that have been sittin' around and feels that they should be used rather than chucked......if they are old....chuck'em as they have a chance of making something that could have been nice, not drinkable).

cheers

tnd

yea, i think you misunderstood me tnd. i meant i cant see the sublte use of noble hops ruining an American C-bomb.

I've no idea on that hop combination mate but whatever it is, you may have just created the next fad.

Whether you decide to keep this or not is entirely up to you but remember, it is the people who are not sheep that are creative and succeed, or suck eggs, of course. You may have just created the best hop combination you can ever get but you won't know if you don't try. Sometimes it is worth going out on a limb ;)

I agree with argon and surprisingly with the seemingly newly helpful Darren on the hops front.

How old are the hops that you need to use or lose? Noble hops and AIPA to me are not a good sounding mix - either the subtlety will be lost or the flavour will be out of place. Can't see them contributing anything to that kind of beer.

If you need to use to old stock in terms of grain then the pale and pils will be fine together. Total grain bill should be fine, just drop the nobles. However Warra is spot on with adding something for balance so if you have some munich, vienna or more crystal (UK crystal is especially tasty) then add them in.

I would also swap the cascade and centennial. Use your high aa hops to get the bitterness close to where you want it (consider your caramalt and taste buds and intended final result) then burst the other hops in small, frequent amounts over the last 30 minutes. I'd do amarillo from 30-15 (dosing every 5 as per case swap) and cascade from 25-0, with a small addition of all US hops at 0. Otherwise just take all your hoips after 30, split into 5 minute proportions and add them at those intervals.

Back