2l Plastic Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cripp

Reaction score
Hi All,
New to the forums, lots of great info on here!
Just a quick question, I am about a week away from bottling my first beer after a couple of years off and am thinking of using some 2L plastic bottles (at least a couple).
Can anyone see any problems with this? I have used plastic bottles in the past and they worked fine (provided the beers were drunk in the first 6-8 months), so apart from the obvious degassing thing is there anything else I should be wary of?

Cripp B)

if they are standard clear 2 litrePET bottles, then the beer would be at great risk of being quickly light struck and get a skunky taste. If you are going to use plastic then it would need to be the amber variety, like the ones supplied in the coopers kits.

I use clear PET bottles all the time when I run out of glass or tinted PETs.

Just make sure to keep them in the cupboard...out of the way of UV light :)

PZ.

OK, it will be stored in my cellar so no risk of too much light. I was more worried that stepping up to 2L plastic may be a problem, the bottles are green, and I have used green plastic bottles (600ml) to brew with no problems in the past..

Anyway thanks for the feedback

Cripp B)

I always fill a couple of PET bottles each brew to monitor carbonation. Leave about the last 5 cm of the bottle empty then squeeze it to expel all the air as you put the cap on. Then as CO2 is produced it will pop the bottle back to its original shape. When that happens it's ready to drink. Just make sure, as has already been said, that you keep them in a dark place to avoid light strike.

RobW said:
as has already been said, that you keep them in a dark place to avoid light strike.
[post="81313"][/post]​

Like the inside of GMK's wallet :lol: :lol:

Sorry Kenny :blink:

Batz

Latest posts

Back