2L Containers that can handle boiling wort?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubzie

Reaction score
I want to make a batch of starter wort and store them in 2L containers.
While i have thought about using milk/softdrink bottles i would think that these would melt with boiling wort in them.
Anyone got any suggestions?

I am also keen to hear this.

I just bought a heap from People in Plastic in Melbourne. Not sure where you are but a local plastics place is the way to go if you can find one. The first 2 i got off ebay but the lids are only really single use.

http://www.peopleinplastic.com.au/

They only have bulk prices on the site but you can buy induvidually in store. I also got a 60lt fermenter for $33.

Milk bottles can take boiling liquid. I often use one to store wort to use for bottling.

Boil a kettle and try milk bottles. Also try a 2l bottle of Aldi apple juice for 2 dollars.

Decor container

Microsafe®
Rice Cooker and Vegetable Steamer, 2.75L

Any of these suitable for 'no chilling' and storing?

Not sure if i would trust the milk bottle lid and seal...

2l Pyrex jug, cover with glad wrap, allow to cool

Decant to a clean and sanatised container of your choice

Cheers

2L port flagons work well - just make sure you do a gently, gently approach and let them cool naturally.

n87 said:
Any of these suitable for 'no chilling' and storing?

Not sure if i would trust the milk bottle lid and seal...
Maybe you can plumbers tape the thread of the bottle BAHAHA

They worked fine on first use but once the seals on the lids were used they the thread didnt seal well enough. The ones from PiP are great. 2lt but hold 2.5. I just bought some more yesterday.

Why don't you use passata bottles, not the 2litre size your after but just use more..

The old, 1.5ltr v8 vegetable juice bottles would ha e been great for this.

Second milk jugs, they're HDPE... Also I'm sure northern Brewer send out their malt extract in them. I just cleaned one and used it last brew. Upon opening the rim of the container looked a bit different, I assume from me screwing the lid on too tight while it was soft. It didn't leak so win.

Tahoose said:
Why don't you use passata bottles, not the 2litre size your after but just use more..

The old, 1.5ltr v8 vegetable juice bottles would ha e been great for this.
I used the old v8 bottles when they were glass, and the passata ones. The problem is that there is a cardboard insert that lines the lid and goes manky after a couple of uses and I had a few wild ferments. You can remove the insert but then you don't get a good seal.

However you can clingwrap.

Latest posts

Back