2l Altenmunster Swingtop 'growlers' @ 1st Choice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
Was walking past the new 1st Choice Liquor SuperStore @ Fountain Gate Shopping Center today and thought I'd look inside.
They had a few boxes of of Altenmnster Brauer Bier Urig Wrzig in 2L swing-top bottles:
2LGrowler.jpg

No pricetag on the box/wall/stand, so I asked the guy and he said they were $20, which is the price I paid (but the register scanned @ $25).
Figured the 2L swing-top growler was worth the price and it should have some drinkable German Lager to go with it.

Awesome, i need a few more.

I have one that i use to test shit and procreate yeast.
Currently have one filled with this mornings porter and a saison yeast. :)

Will empty it into a 1.5l bottle and force carb then use the yeast in next's weeks batch.

... since someone requested it, here is a better picture with 'a perspective of size':
2LGrowler1.jpg

2L 'growler', Coppers-type plastic bottle, Coopers-type stubbie.

Do they have a decent range of craftbeer there Wolfy??

Do they have a decent range of craftbeer there Wolfy??
I only had a quick look (far too many people there at the shopping center ... scary, old, ugly ... for me to stay longer than needed)
... but there seemed to be the usual range of local craft and imported beer (much the same as Dan's).
They did have a gift-pack-box of local micro-beer, which I predict will be high on the list for family/friends/kids of AHB members shopping for Christmas gifts.

I picked up 6 of the 500/550ml ones a month back at 1st Choice in Lutwyche Brisbane. These were $6 each but you get 20% off for 6 or more singles.

They used to sell those 2L ones in Brisbane in the Era bottlo for $40...

Only bought the small ones, it's a decent German Pils.

:icon_offtopic: you get around Wolfy..springvale,fountain gate.
Buying supplies/stuff for a weekend BBQ for daughter's b'day and Christmas-stuff - FG is 5 mins away, and Springvale about 15-20 depending on traffic.

I also use one of these for experimentation.

Currently an ESB with a few whole cocoa beans thrown in

What is the beer that comes in it like?

Is this just a special for that particular store? Or is it store wide?

Batz

I'm going to head out tonight and grab a couple. Has anyone been to the Ringwood or Burwood (VIC) stores and seen them there?

What is the beer that comes in it like?

Haven't bought any of the 2 litre growlers, but quite a while ago I bought a dozen of the 500ml Altenmunster beers. I quite enjoyed them and my only motivation to buy them was to obtain more 500ml swing top bottles and this is probably going to happen again soon.

I can't explain the subtle nuances of beers to be able to describe what it tasted and smelt like, but I did enjoy them.

Just picked one up in Ashfield, Syd. Will be perfect for catching the keg overflow. Bit bigger than i thought it would be, just need to do a sneaky rearrangement of the fridge shelves so it fits.

Back