$25 grain mill motor from bread maker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
My latest project was to uprade my mill motor. I was curently using a wiper motor and whilst it did the job it took me nearly 20 mins to crush my grain at a slow 60 rpm.

So I purchased a bread making machine from gum tree for $20 and ripped the motor and pulley out.

Had a guard made up to cover the motor as its windings are all visible and didnt want to risk dropping something down on them. Added a switch and made some modifications to my existing mounting board to allow the pulley to fit. I had to get my mill shaft machined down to match the pulley but was able to get this done at work FOC.

Final RPM is around 160 rpm geared down from 1100 rpm from the motor so I have plenty of torque.

So a cheap ebay or gumtree motor seems to work quite well as a mill motor and you get both pulleys and the belt.

IMG_2253.JPG
IMG_2255.JPG

Mardoo said:
Legend! Great thinking. Thanks for sharing it.

Do you remember what brand the maker was?
It was a Tiffany brand, but any would do as they are all the same with similar motor speeds and pulley ratios. My dad did the same with a Panasonic he found on hard rubbish. The motors get warm in the bread makers so getting warm milling for 5 minutes isnt a problem.
Just dont block the front or back fans so you get good airlfow.

And dont get zapped by the starter cap like I did...twice..LOL

Is it just a standard run-of-the-mill domestic kitchen bread maker.

looks good where did you get your pulleys from ?

Truman said:
My latest project was to uprade my mill motor. I was curently using a wiper motor and whilst it did the job it took me nearly 20 mins to crush my grain at a slow 60 rpm.

So I purchased a bread making machine from gum tree for $20 and ripped the motor and pulley out.

Had a guard made up to cover the motor as its windings are all visible and didnt want to risk dropping something down on them. Added a switch and made some modifications to my existing mounting board to allow the pulley to fit. I had to get my mill shaft machined down to match the pulley but was able to get this done at work FOC.
Final RPM is around 160 rpm geared down from 1100 rpm from the motor so I have plenty of torque.
So a cheap ebay or gumtree motor seems to work quite well as a mill motor and you get both pulleys and the belt.

attachicon.gif
IMG_2253.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_2255.JPG

Good thinking 99

Yes its just your standard bread maker. Lots of them second hand on ebay and gumtree because people get sick of them. And the best thing is the pulleys come with it as the motor is to the side of the mixer and connects to the larger pulley by timex belt to turn the mixer. My dad used the whole motor assembly and frame from the bread maker to mount his.

And if the motor is turning the wrong way you just swap a wire over on the starter cap. But I didnt need to.

I am just about to re build my mill stand so that looks like a great option.

Hey Truman,
Awesome job with this build. It inspired me to go on the hunt for a breadmaker which I got today. Have pulled the motor and cap out but I'm a little confused with the wires. My motor has 3 wires. Red, blue and yellow. Red and blue go from motor to cap and then onto a plug. Yellow goes from motor to plug. that's as far as I've got. Can you help out pls with a wiring diagram. If u don't want to post on here you can pm me if you like. I wired my control box easily but this confuses me.
Cheers
Macca

macca05 said:
Hey Truman,
Awesome job with this build. It inspired me to go on the hunt for a breadmaker which I got today. Have pulled the motor and cap out but I'm a little confused with the wires. My motor has 3 wires. Red, blue and yellow. Red and blue go from motor to cap and then onto a plug. Yellow goes from motor to plug. that's as far as I've got. Can you help out pls with a wiring diagram. If u don't want to post on here you can pm me if you like. I wired my control box easily but this confuses me.
Cheers
Macca
Does yours look like the photo below? If so yellow is active and blue is nuetral. If your motor spins the wrong way swap the dark blue nuetral wire over to the otherside of the cap. (So it connects in with the red wire.)

Also if your going to use the front screw holes of the motor for your mounting bracket make sure your screws arent too long and end up touching the motor windings. I used a bamboo skewer to measure the depth first then cut my screws down with my wire crimping tool. (It has the holes as the top for cutting machine screws.)

Hope this helps.

Grain Mill 004.jpg

dont forget to earth the whole thing.... run the green to the motor casing

your playing with 240 so be very safe....

Maheel said:
dont forget to earth the whole thing.... run the green to the motor casing

your playing with 240 so be very safe....
Yes definitely, Thats what i did.

Hmmm, just bought a new mill recently and as fun as the hand crank is have been thinking about adding a motor but the cost has put me off. This looks like a perfect solution!

Now to find a bread maker!

contrarian said:
Hmmm, just bought a new mill recently and as fun as the hand crank is have been thinking about adding a motor but the cost has put me off. This looks like a perfect solution!

Now to find a bread maker!
Gumtree, Ebay, Local trader. hard rubbish, neighbours cupboard. And dont pay over $20 for it.

One thing I have found is that if I stop my mill mid crush and then start it again the motor doesnt have enough grunt to start again without having to give the pulley a flick. (But then again you shouldnt need to do this anyway.)
But you can load up your hopper and start the mill and it will fire up no probems.

Latest posts

Back