23L keg usefulness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaiserben

Reaction score
I jumped at the chance to buy a 2nd-hand 23L keg on the weekend.

IMG_1738.jpg

(I'm not sure why this has been uploaded sideways ...)

I'm wondering how best to use it and I'm interested in what other people do with them.

Should I increase my batch size so that I can fill it for serving?

Should I ferment in it and transfer to a 19L corny for serving?

I would use it for serving, provided your setup allows for the larger profile.

What are the dimensions? The only thing stopping me popping another 19L in my keezer is the height, if I had a shorter one I might be able to squeeze it in.

Height was about 450mm. Definitely a lot shorter than a corny.

Diameter about 280mm.

Well it does sit well for 23 litre brew. If your are doing all grain with less volume why not use the kegs for some handy basic kit & kilo brews or with hop additions if you wish.
Always handy to have that feel like a few ales around.

Oh! I should mention that I brew with a mate and ideally we'll be splitting all batches in half.

So I guess my thinking was initially that this keg could be used for either fermenting and oxygen-free transfer to mini kegs. Or perhaps longer term bulk storage for lagers and/or imperial stouts.

Good for transferring to mini kegs. I use a 19l keg to transfer carbonated ales to 4 litre mini kegs. Works well with sealed transfer. I put the mini on a set of scales, 4l = 4 kilos. Easy as.

This would make an excellent fermenter. I'm on the lookout for one for just that purpose.

I think them kegs are predominantly sold by Country Brewer outlets. I had a couple at one point but I needed the tall thinner cornies for my setup.

I ferment in a 23L keg, it's just about the right size to fill a 19L corny.

I put a thermowell in the lid and a tap at the bottom.

I'd ferment in it personally. Easy to clean and heat sanitise (fill with boiling water and perc).

If it's like the 9L you probably wouldn't even need to shorten the dip tube, just crash chill and transfer via low CO2 pressure once the yeast has settled.

You can also add a bit of tube to a gas disconnect and stick the other end in a sanitised jar quarter filled with boiled water so it will act as a airlock/blow off tube/yeast collecter if you don't want to do the ferment under pressure thing.

Does anyone know where I could get one of these? Having a search I haven't been able to find any. It's a nice size to go into my fridge as the 19L ones are too tall.

Latest posts

Back