23l Chinese Glass Carboys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if chinese hops taste better in chinese glass carboys?....

No idea mate sorry. Glass should be glass. Be it aint. Id bet the syructure and wuality of glass isnt as good as it could be and big temp changes like very warm (not hot) wort in cool carboy might end in tears.

Something quaint about actually being able to see the brew take place! Also, I plan to rack to a secondary and let the beer drop bright in glass.

Pricey way to brew compared to something like this:
http://discounthomebrewwarehouse.com.au/in...products_id=973

What's the thinking behind a glass fermenter for you?
Glass.carboys have a.heap of advantages over plastic. Yes they have negatives but some of the positives are unbeatable depending, as u said, on why u want glass.

If ur brewining funk beer, they r unbeatable, long term cellering unbeatable, longevity (providing tbey r treated right) unbeatable.. Kind of. Well ee dont treat our gear nice so its an arguable point.

Anyway, to the OP, u can pick up cheap glas carboys on ebay if u keep an eye out.

All my glass carboys come from Mexico. I haven't had any issues with them except the one I dropped the glass was about 1/2 thick so they are very strong.

Last one I bought from Liquorcraft....or should I say the last three I've bought from there were all Made in Italy. Keen to get hold of some more from Core Brewing Concepts who also carry the handy carboy caps with racking cane and other accessories that the Yanks have but we don't here.

Last one I bought from Liquorcraft....or should I say the last three I've bought from there were all Made in Italy. Keen to get hold of some more from Core Brewing Concepts who also carry the handy carboy caps with racking cane and other accessories that the Yanks have but we don't here.

Nice, my last plastic racking cane didn't hold up to the ethanol-water treatment. Would be keen to get one of these siphons.

Yeah my goal is to get rid of all glass and stainless in my brewery and replace with plastic. :lol:

Then you can get rid of the plastic and replace it with wood ;)

Hey barls, how do the better bottles hold up to using bugs and sours etc?
Or recommend glass?

Lots of people use them for sours in the US including the Mad Fermentationist himself. Their oxygen permeability is tiny over a long period unlike HDPE and you also have the benefits of weight and near impossible breakage. The only reason I prefer glass carboys is because you can get a bit more carried away with your cleaning without worrying about damaging the plastic or leaving scratches.

If i could afford better bottles over gkass carbous i woukd.

pretty well actually, havent ran in to any problems with too much oxygen with them been using them over the last 12 months.

Plastic--> Glass (better) -- SS (where I want to be)
Fear

Back