220lt drums

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
I got given a couple of blue 220lt Tilkey drums that I hope can be used for fermenters. They had Olympic 35 hydrochloric acid in them for a public swimming pool. Has anyone used these for fermenters or should I just give them back. There is a number 2 in the triangle on the bottom of the drums as well as PE-HD stamped on there as well.

I worked around pools for years and the HCL we used to get in was nasty shit that would burn your lungs if you were not careful! I would give them back! I was looking at some food grade ones on eBay the other day for about $10 each. Not worth the risk

I've spoken to the supplier of the Olympic 35 acid & he said the drums are fine to use for fermenters. As above, neutralise any residual acid with Bicarb soda. Give them a thorough wash out, air dry & good to go.
Thanks for the advice fellas.
Cheers

And you can be pretty sure no biofilm has built up ;)

Nice score. PE-HD drums last forever. You can get buried in one if you like! They'll still be in good nick.

Back