22 Kg Co2 Cannister

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSm

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wondering does anyone know of how much a 22 kg CO2 can is worth to buy as i am lining one up for $100 and wanting to know if this is good or not. Or if this will be too big or if anyone wants to buy one???

Cheers jake

Hey everyone,

Just wondering does anyone know of how much a 22 kg CO2 can is worth to buy as i am lining one up for $100 and wanting to know if this is good or not. Or if this will be too big or if anyone wants to buy one???

Cheers jake
Have you checked the sponsors out for a rough guide to price and size ?

I'd be making sure it wasn't a rental bottle being on sold personally.

I had a similar question about a month ago. The guys at the LHBS suggested that those bottle sizes aren't sold for personal use anymore, and likely wouldn't be filled by any licensed supplier. The service date stamp on the bottle might give some indication about when it was last properly checked.
I'm far from an expert but my other concern would be around the safety of having that much CO2 in an enclosed space in the event of a leak. Have a look at the Keg King website for their recommendations.

Be careful here Jake, I don't believe you can own a 22kg cylinder.
It which case it would be a retail cylinder and owned by BOC, Liquid Air or similar company.

U can't own a 22kg bottle legally. Plus it's the same deal as owning a bbq gas bottle, once it's out of datebook one will fill it. It takes about 2 yrs to go through a 22kg bottle using 10kegs (I use a 22kg bottle).

Check it all out first.

Sponsors don't sell 22kg bottles.

U can't own a 22kg bottle legally. Plus it's the same deal as owning a bbq gas bottle, once it's out of datebook one will fill it. It takes about 2 yrs to go through a 22kg bottle using 10kegs (I use a 22kg bottle).

Check it all out first.

Sponsors don't sell 22kg bottles.

I use a 22kg bottle as well, I keep it in my shed and fill my fire extinguishers from it, lasts me for ages.

batz

Thanks for all the advice, im not buying was just curious as i seen one on gumtree for cheap and wanted to know more.

Anyone have any smaller gas cannisters they arnt using anymore that would like to sell. I will only be having 2 kegs so what size should i be looking at and how long will it last me??

Cheers jake.

Thanks for all the advice, im not buying was just curious as i seen one on gumtree for cheap and wanted to know more.

Anyone have any smaller gas cannisters they arnt using anymore that would like to sell. I will only be having 2 kegs so what size should i be looking at and how long will it last me??

Cheers jake.

The question is how much beer will you get through. If you plan on having the 2 kegs running flat out and swapping between them weekly, ie a keg a week; or are you more looking at a keg a month, or a year?

You can pick up CO2 bottles between 2.4 to 2.6kg which I find useful. 2.6kg of CO2 is about 21 kegs if you look after it. If you want to use CO2 for filtering, chasing the cat with etc you will get less kegs. Good thing about this size is if you get a leak then it's not too expensive to refill. You can also get 6.0kg bottles which works out at 49 kegs if you are stingy with the gas. This size saves having to refill as often, but if you get a leak you still have an empty bottle to refill. I have 2 x 2.6kg bottles (one in the house fridge and one in the shed fridge) and find they work well, and are an easy size to store out of the way.

There is a CO2 calc on my website it you want to have a play

QldKev

edit: above keg rate is based on a corny keg.

Hi Jake,
Contact Margins Gas at WestGosford 0416 005 315 easy to deal with
They have 5kg bottles you buy and own, when its empty give him a call and they fill for i think $35
I've had my bottle about 3 years easy.

Cheers jake.

I've got a spare 540gm bottle if you want one. Same fitting as sodastream but without valve.

Mark

The question is how much beer will you get through. If you plan on having the 2 kegs running flat out and swapping between them weekly, ie a keg a week; or are you more looking at a keg a month, or a year?

You can pick up CO2 bottles between 2.4 to 2.6kg which I find useful. 2.6kg of CO2 is about 21 kegs if you look after it. If you want to use CO2 for filtering, chasing the cat with etc you will get less kegs. Good thing about this size is if you get a leak then it's not too expensive to refill. You can also get 6.0kg bottles which works out at 49 kegs if you are stingy with the gas. This size saves having to refill as often, but if you get a leak you still have an empty bottle to refill. I have 2 x 2.6kg bottles (one in the house fridge and one in the shed fridge) and find they work well, and are an easy size to store out of the way.

There is a CO2 calc on my website it you want to have a play

QldKev

edit: above keg rate is based on a corny keg.

Thanks mate you answered my question on how long it lasts. I plan on doing around 1-2 kegs a month so i guess ill get the 2.6kg
Just gotta get the kegs now. Haha

Cheers jake.

Back