20l Willow Jerry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiep

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I purchased a 20l Willow Jerry for my first AG brew.

With regards to the tap for the Jerry, it comes sealed.

Is it just a matter of drilling a hole before fitting the tap?

Silly question i know.

Regards,
Robbie

Hi guys,

I purchased a 20l Willow Jerry for my first AG brew.

With regards to the tap for the Jerry, it comes sealed.

Is it just a matter of drilling a hole before fitting the tap?

Silly question i know.

Regards,
Robbie

If you want to fit a tap, drill it out as smoothly as possible and remove and plastic debris. I would only do this if you are planning on fermenting in the cube. If you will be transferring the cool wort to another vessel, leave it undrilled and bunged without the tap.

I thought the 20L Willows came with a tap, if not they at least have the threaded section there ready for it. So you just need to cut out the plastic circle "inside" the threaded hole. Standard fermenter tap should fit the thread.

8mm bit, unless you like waiting for ages for it to drain.

Potentially sillier question.

Why do you need a tap on a Jerry can?

Because syphoning is a PITA :rolleyes: Depends what the OP wants to do with the jerry.

With my previous setup I used 2 Willows side by side as cold conditioning "tanks" but with my new fridges I use a BCF 20L container for this purpose, all with taps.

Simply put on bench, attach silicone hose and run into keg leaving sludge behind, which is difficult to judge when syphoning from a non transparent vessel.

On the other hand I had 2 other Willows that I used as no chill cubes and they remained virginal and untapped as I just tipped and glugged into the fermenter. I used a thin bladed craft "box cutter" knife to gouge out the hole.

Note the jerry will actually hold around 23L and if used as a hot wort cube will give somewhat with the heat and take up to 24L.

Note the jerry will actually hold around 23L and if used as a hot wort cube will give somewhat with the heat and take up to 24L.

And can when very hot wort is in it, just pop out the tap when lifted.

Which is why it's a good idea to leave the cube untapped if it's going to be a hot wort cube. ;)

And can when very hot wort is in it, just pop out the tap when lifted.

People say this but it's not happened to me once. I almost exclusively NC into blue willows and ferment in them (hence the tap). Brew on average once a week.

Not saying it can't happen but it's not something I've encountered yet. I have more trouble with non-sealing lids.

Which is why it's a good idea to leave the cube untapped if it's going to be a hot wort cube. ;)

Too true Bribie.

I noticed 25lt cubes in Bunnies today for $19.95.
Around $15.00 more than I pay ;)

People say this but it's not happened to me once. I almost exclusively NC into blue willows and ferment in them (hence the tap). Brew on average once a week.

Not saying it can't happen but it's not something I've encountered yet. I have more trouble with non-sealing lids.
+1 again
BBB

Brew on average once a week.
Wow, once a week? Jealous....are you setting up some kind of homebrew wine cellar?? Or have you become the source of craft ales for a whole bunch of family/friends?

Wow, once a week? Jealous....are you setting up some kind of homebrew wine cellar?? Or have you become the source of craft ales for a whole bunch of family/friends?

You don't brew once a week?

images.jpg

Please tell me that's not yours....

And no, not a tea/coffee guy...and Mother doesn't need brewing... :super:

No not mine.

I was calling you (in the nicest possiable way)

A tea cosy, namby pamby, girls blouse, nancy boy.

Get out and brew once a week. :lol: :lol: :p

Happy New year.

Batz

Hopefully the OP will take something from my threadjacking line of questions, but how do you aerate the wort? (if you do)
Air stone? Give it a shake?

I like to decant from cube to fermenter from a height, like a Moroccan barista of sorts, gets it all nice and foamy.

I was calling you (in the nicest possiable way)

A tea cosy, namby pamby, girls blouse, nancy boy.

Get out and brew once a week. :lol: :lol: :p

Happy New year.

Batz
Ack, obviously too obscure for my current homebrew imbibed state...soz.

Would love to brew once a week, but no way can I drink 3 litres a day...well not for long anyway!

Chuck Norris's taps aren't stupid enough to pop on him.

Happy new Year.

Hopefully the OP will take something from my threadjacking line of questions, but how do you aerate the wort? (if you do)
Air stone? Give it a shake?

I like to decant from cube to fermenter from a height, like a Moroccan barista of sorts, gets it all nice and foamy.
Shake. There's an article in the articles db on fermenting in the cube that should answer all your questions. It's pretty simple. HDPE container with wort in it.

@carniebrew - brewing once a week does not necessitate or equate to drinking a batch a week. You can store beer you know.

Latest posts

Back