20l Willow Jerry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@carniebrew - brewing once a week does not necessitate or equate to drinking a batch a week. You can store beer you know.
Yeah, hence my question about building a wine cellar type of arrangement. I was curious if that's what you were doing, 'coz I find that pretty fascinating. Mind you if you were drinking a batch a week I'd be pretty fascinated by that as well....

I can get close with my Mild but generally I do not drink an entire batch in a week unless I'm really, really thirsty.

Bump:

I'm about to invest in some new no chill/fermenting vessels and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the bunnings 20L jerry cans (the ones that are the same shape as the willow jerries)? Is it worth saving the $$ or should I head to super cheap and get a couple of the willow ones?

Cheers

back OT, I was looking at these at Big W the other day, they already had threaded bugs in them???

The willow ones that is

jaypes said:
back OT, I was looking at these at Big W the other day, they already had threaded bugs in them???

The willow ones that is

They wiil have, but not drilled through.

Batz

jaypes said:

The willow ones that is
How much were they? I didn't even think of looking at Big W.

Batz said:
They wiil have, but not drill through.

Batz
Doesnt the OP want to fit a tap, in that case it is as simple as purchasing one and screwing it in - no drilling required

Unless I am completely missing the OT

JDW81 said:
How much were they? I didn't even think of looking at Big W.
From memory $24.95

They arent listed on the website

K-fart has them also.

jaypes said:
Doesnt the OP want to fit a tap, in that case it is as simple as purchasing one and screwing it in - no drilling required

Unless I am completely missing the OT
The thread is there but the hole is sealed.

mikec said:
I thought the 20L Willows came with a tap, if not they at least have the threaded section there ready for it. So you just need to cut out the plastic circle "inside" the threaded hole. Standard fermenter tap should fit the thread.
They come with a bung, and the bunghole is undrilled. I leave mine undrilled, and then I keep the bung for my pail style fermenters. Makes them into a great sterilizing/pbw bucket to clean everything, including the lid and tap

Morning,

Getting ready to brew and have realised that all four of my jerrys have suffered the same fate, namely the back of the thread breaking away and causing a leak below the tap. Heading down to but a couple more, but just wanted to see if anyone else gets the same problem or how I could go about avoiding it. I cut the hole with a spade bit. Drill a smaller hole? Use a different tap? Or just not tighten the crap out of it every time I put the tap in?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Don't overtighten. Thread tape can help.

Even when they are a bit stuffed, you can tighten just before it 'clicks' loose and it should be OK - just need to exercise caution when taking samples or racking to bottling bucket/keg/whatever.

I have a cracked on sitting ready for the bin atm.

Couldn't for the life of me work out where or how it was leaking.

I now think it's cracked in the middle of the threads.

Latest posts

Back