20L Willow Jerry Can Weight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.
Reaction score
Does anyone know the weight of an empty 20L willow jerry? It has a 20L mark nothing else. Figured if I knew the empty weight I could chuck it on the scales when full to work out volumes for bulk priming

Your answer is in the question. Weigh it. You have scales as per your question 'chuck it on the scales'. I have none empty so cannot help. I always add water to a new jerry or fermenter with a good known quantity of water and make my own marks to be safe. In my cae 1 L markings at a time. The moulding marks are always off. Water is a specific weight so scales won't actually be needed if you mark it off as you fill it up.

Edit: thinking about it your scales may not register an empty willow. Weight yourself, scary thought, then weight yourself holding the willow. BAM!

might be easier to weigh your priming medium

Cube said:
Your answer is in the question. Weigh it. You have scales as per your question 'chuck it on the scales'. I have none empty so cannot help. I always add water to a new jerry or fermenter with a good known quantity of water and make my own marks to be safe. In my cae 1 L markings at a time. The moulding marks are always off. Water is a specific weight so scales won't actually be needed if you mark it off as you fill it up.

Edit: thinking about it your scales may not register an empty willow. Weight yourself, scary thought, then weight yourself holding the willow. BAM!
I had realised that I could chuck it on the scales, but it currently has a batch of fermented beer that is sitting a few cm off the moulded 20l marking and I want a precise volume so I can carbonate to the right level. I want to try to avoid near enough is good enough.

I was going to mark it up when I bought it, but ran out of time. Didn't think about weighing prior to filling either.

jaypes said:
might be easier to weigh your priming medium
I was going to do that anyway, but there is no point weighing out priming sugar if I don't know how much beer I'm priming (I know around about how much, but that just doesn't cut it).

Beer is heavier than water.

Your FG tells you by how much.

ie 1.008 is 1.008 times heavier per L than water.

Which mean if it weighs 22KG, then you need divide by 1.008 to get the true volume.

Which would be 21.825L in this case.

(i think I got that right ;))

But he needs to subtract the weight of the jerry, yeah?

JDW81 said:
Does anyone know the weight of an empty 20L willow jerry? It has a 20L mark nothing else. Figured if I knew the empty weight I could chuck it on the scales when full to work out volumes for bulk priming
I weighed my 3, varies from 1.063kg, 1.207kg, 1.294kg

Theres a calculator in beersmith 2 for working this stuff out, where you input the empty container weight, current weight, and gravity.

Agreed it varies. 1.2 kg is the norm (my experience of 7 cubes) but I have one that is 1.05 kg .....
Cheers
BBB

JDW81 said:
I had realised that I could chuck it on the scales, but it currently has a batch of fermented beer that is sitting a few cm off the moulded 20l marking and I want a precise volume so I can carbonate to the right level. I want to try to avoid near enough is good enough.

I was going to mark it up when I bought it, but ran out of time. Didn't think about weighing prior to filling either.

I was going to do that anyway, but there is no point weighing out priming sugar if I don't know how much beer I'm priming (I know around about how much, but that just doesn't cut it).
Wouldnt you know how much beer you are priming by the volume measurements on the side of the jerry can?

There's only one (20 L) so if you are under or over, you will be estimating.

Your regular bathroom scales are notoriously inaccurate in the "no one weighs that much" range.

They are designed to work semi-accurately around the 50-100kg range.

My scales say 18kg of water weigh just over 16.

use your eyes and the grey matter in unison...look at the jerry and visualise how much is in there, surely you can get it within 1/2 litre which would be close for your priming.

If in doubt use carb drops..... :blink:

Speaking of eyes and grey matter usage.
JDW81 said:
I want to try to avoid near enough is good enough.

...snip...

but there is no point weighing out priming sugar if I don't know how much beer I'm priming (I know around about how much, but that just doesn't cut it).

bum said:
Speaking of eyes and grey matter usage.
1/2 litre out in volume will only equate to about 7gms dex difference, a total of .1.gas volumes....I doubt I could pick the difference.
jdw says he doesnt want near enough is good enough but reality is thats just what we are doing with bulk priming...

Mine are full but on past results they are 1.00/1.20 Kg.
I think the infintesimal difference in weight, they will not all be exactly the same, can be disreguarded in the calculations.
Use the KISS system,it works.

edit typo.

yum beer said:
1/2 litre out in volume will only equate to about 7gms dex difference, a total of .1.gas volumes....I doubt I could pick the difference.
jdw says he doesnt want near enough is good enough but reality is thats just what we are doing with bulk priming...
He obviously disagrees and he addressed the matter before you even posted in any case. Your suggestion he use his eyes and brain seem more than a little amusing in such a context.

yum beer said:
I realise that being a litre or so off with my bulk prime isn't going to make a huge difference, but if I took the close enough approach with my brewing then I'd get wildly inconsistent results across the whole process and consistency is something I'm trying to get nailed down at the moment.

Latest posts

Back