2018 NSW State Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just following this thread as I'd like to enter some beers!

What does this event entail? I am not interested in submitting anything. I just want to try different brews and learn the art of the trade. I'm only new to brewing.
Get yourself down to the event .. Gosford is not far from Newcastle, help the organisers by being a steward, open your ears, taste a few brews. Talk to brewers. A day at the champs will teach you far more weeks of reading threads.

Get yourself down to the event .. Gosford is not far from Newcastle, help the organisers by being a steward, open your ears, taste a few brews. Talk to brewers. A day at the champs will teach you far more weeks of reading threads.

FG, I’ll volunteer Marcus and i’s judging prowess if you can pick us up in the old hippie van on the way thru.

Apparently I am know what I am doing in this endeavour.

Scotty

Entry details for this years NSW Amateur Brewing Championships 2018 are available from the comp website at:
https://nsw-brewing-championships.org/

The closing date for entries will be COB Saturday September 8th, there are 12 entry drop-off locations, see website for details.
Note: All entries must be submitted via the competition website, there are no paper forms to be filled in and Drop-off points will not accept entries that haven't been registered through the website.

Big thanks goes out to our very generous Competition Sponsors:

FG, I’ll volunteer Marcus and i’s judging prowess if you can pick us up in the old hippie van on the way thru.

Apparently I am know what I am doing in this endeavour.

Scotty

And me. :)

I can’t find the link to register my interest to judge, can you point it out me please.

What does being a steward involve?
Hi Thomas

Stewarding generally involves getting the beers ready to serve, taking the beers to judges as needed and some general roustabout type work to keep things flowing on the day.
It also tends to involve sampling a wide variety of beers throughout the day.
It is kinda serious but also generally a fun day.

Cheers
Adam

I can’t find the link to register my interest to judge, can you point it out me please.
Hi Barry

There seems to be a slight hiccup with registering as a judge or steward.
This should be sorted today or tomorrow.
I'll post here again once it is sorted out.

Cheers
Adam

Stewarding generally involves getting the beers ready to serve, taking the beers to judges as needed and some general roustabout type work to keep things flowing on the day.
It also tends to involve sampling a wide variety of beers throughout the day.
It is kinda serious but also generally a fun day.
I've just checked my calendar and I have my footy preso on that weekend. Absolutely gutted because I was keen to Steward and learn some stuff :( . Fingers crossed for next time.

ive never entered a comp, would i be better off entering a smaller local one first? or just give it a go?

any tips for first comp(ers)

also i only keg usually....what do the seasoned comp guys do for your comp bottles....fill a couple of bottles when kegging and keep them aside for comp/natural carb? or fill from keg using counter pressure cap/filler ect? what do you find more effective....

ive never entered a comp, would i be better off entering a smaller local one first? or just give it a go?

any tips for first comp(ers)

also i only keg usually....what do the seasoned comp guys do for your comp bottles....fill a couple of bottles when kegging and keep them aside for comp/natural carb? or fill from keg using counter pressure cap/filler ect? what do you find more effective....

I'm not sure i'm seasoned after entering only two comps, but my beer must have been ok as I won the lager category in both. I bottle from a keg with either of the following.

To plastic (PET) beer bottles: https://www.kegland.com.au/carbonation-line-cleaning-cap.html
To glass bottles: https://www.kegland.com.au/counter-pressure-bottle-filler-kit.html

Generally I find it easier to post plastic bottles. If dropping off in person, whatever is easier/have available. The counter pressure kit is fiddly and really should be mounted on a piece of timber or something.

I'm not sure i'm seasoned after entering only two comps, but my beer must have been ok as I won the lager category in both. I bottle from a keg with either of the following.

To plastic (PET) beer bottles: https://www.kegland.com.au/carbonation-line-cleaning-cap.html
To glass bottles: https://www.kegland.com.au/counter-pressure-bottle-filler-kit.html

Generally I find it easier to post plastic bottles. If dropping off in person, whatever is easier/have available. The counter pressure kit is fiddly and really should be mounted on a piece of timber or something.

Cheers, yeah i have the cleaning cap setup already and plently of un-used plastic bottles. could be a goer. so you find you maintain proper carb levels after taking off the cleaner cap and attaching normal plastic bottle cap?

Cheers lucky im not thinking of entering a lager then! haha,

yeah i have the cleaning cap setup already and plently of un-used plastic bottles. could be a goer. so you find you maintain proper carb levels after taking off the cleaner cap and attaching normal plastic bottle cap?

Back