2018 NSW State Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcavan

Reaction score
Hi all,
Judging for this years NSW State Comp will be held at Gosford Showgrounds on 15th & 16th of September.

More information will be available shortly through the competition website.

In the meantime see www.AABC.org.au for Style categories and comp rules.

2018 NSW State Comp Flyer1.jpg

I thought that to, but the fine art of the compromise comes to mind.
Interesting , not too far from either Newcastle nor Sydney, beats the 3 hour commute to the last state comp.
Mark

Interesting , not too far from either Newcastle nor Sydney, beats the 3 hour commute to the last state comp.
Mark
You have got a few months to work out the good drinking holes in Gosford.

Mark

Thats right Mark, we wanted to make it as practical as possible for judges from Sydney and Newcastle to get to the venue for an early Saturday/Sunday morning start. The venue were quite accommodating and allowed us access for a few days beforehand.

That's great, two days of six hours traveling on top of a day judging can get pretty old pretty quick!
Hand up for judging and anything else that needs doing - just ask.
Mark

Barely matters. Just hope people support it, brew for it, come along and judge, steward and talk beer and brewing. Will be there if able.

I'm not complaining, it's much closer for me, I can drop my entries off in person.
Gosford show ground is a bit out-of-the-way, that's all.

I'm not complaining, it's much closer for me, I can drop my entries off in person.
Gosford show ground is a bit out-of-the-way, that's all.
Know you ain't a complainer. Sounds like you are local (well compared to me, anyone north of Wollongong is a local for this event.) So, find out the gst drinking holes in Gosford, my man.

Know you ain't a complainer. Sounds like you are local (well compared to me, anyone north of Wollongong is a local for this event.) So, find out the gst drinking holes in Gosford, my man.

As much as I would love to talk up our local venues.... The closest would be Six Strings Brewery I think in Erina. Their Double Dark Red IPA is wonderful... but I wouldn't rate anything in their range under 5%ABV... they are a bit pedestrian

As it is, I should be good for both days, and I know the CCB member are keen to help in a comp in our own backyard

Have you been out to Block & Tackle n87?
http://www.blockntackle.beer/

I have, but 2 of my taster paddle had some form of infection:( I haven't been back.
I understand they have quite a few nice beers, but I just have that memory sitting in the back of my head.

Foghorn wouldhave been the place... if they were still open in Erina. Great food and not a bad drop on their 8 taps and 1 hand pump... I cried a little when I found it was closed

I have a german pilsner that I want to bottle for this comp before I finish off the keg.

Are you able to give any details on bottle size? Is it 2x 330ml or 1x 750ml.

I have a german pilsner that I want to bottle for this comp before I finish off the keg.

Are you able to give any details on bottle size? Is it 2x 330ml or 1x 750ml.

Hi Uyllii

The bottle size is as per AABC rules D5 http://www.aabc.org.au/docs/AABC_AimsRulesInformationWeb_20170327.pdf

1x500mL or 2 smaller bottles that make up at least 500mL. The second bottle is just so you have a fresh bottle for BOS round or if judges ask to try second bottle due to bottling issue/infection.

Hope that helps.
Cheers

When are the entry forms going to be available?
Cheers

What does this event entail? I am not interested in submitting anything. I just want to try different brews and learn the art of the trade. I'm only new to brewing.

When are the entry forms going to be available?
Cheers

Hi Lorenzo99,
Entries will be via the comp website which will be going live in the next few days, so there will be no PDF or paper forms as such; the website will provide pre-printed labels to attach to your entry bottles.

What does this event entail? I am not interested in submitting anything. I just want to try different brews and learn the art of the trade. I'm only new to brewing.
Hi Thomas,
A brief overview of the comp process:
1. Brewers register their entries via the comp website (to be launched in the next few days) and pay the appropriate fee per entry
2. Entrants attached the pre-filled labels to their entry bottles and drop them off at the nearest collection point (usually a homebrew store)
3. Judger and Stewards volunteer their time on 15th & 16th September to blind taste each entry and fill in 1x A4 scoresheet with feedback
4. Winners of each Category are announced soon after judging is finalised and results have been cross checked.
5. Scanned copies of the scoresheets are emailed to each entrant within the following week.
6. The top 3 entries in each category are eligible to submit their beers to the National Competition judged in Melbourne on 25th October

Back