2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50kgs of Victoria picked yesterday. Smaller groups coming today and tomorrow.
Are you selling them to the public, can't seem to get victoria anywhere.... only time I've had Victoria was in a beer made with homegrown hops from Yob I believe (I didn't brew the beer), so dank.... :drinkingbeer:

Are you selling them to the public, can't seem to get victoria anywhere.... only time I've had Victoria was in a beer made with homegrown hops from Yob I believe (I didn't brew the beer), so dank.... :drinkingbeer:

They were grown by Belgrave Brewer:bigcheers:

My cascade, from September till last week. At one stage there you can see some bug got to them and I thought they were gone for a while, we went on holidays, came back and they had fought back by themselves.

IMG_2216.png
IMG_2251.png
IMG_2307.png
IMG_0074.png
IMG_0208.png
IMG_0268.png
IMG_0306.png

Well, so much for hoping for a reduced yield.

Got 4.8kg wet off the Chinook yesterday. Probably another bucket or so left to pick.

This is the one that fell over last week, so I lost a bit due to immature flowers, fallen, and dead/dried up ones due to broken bines.
View attachment 111538

Cascade will probably be picked next weekend.
And now dis:
IMG_20180205_200506.jpg

Jumbo sleeping bag style drying rack. Made from a swisse voile "cocoon". I give it a few bops each time I go out for a beer (so only 5 or 20 times a night, right), for two or three days until they feel dry.

They look great, how old are the plants?

Aquaponic Cascade well endowed as usual. Burring up like crazy.
View attachment 111448 View attachment 111449

Chinook strong as ever too.

View attachment 111450 View attachment 111451 View attachment 111452

Corridors of Red Earth, Goldings, Hallertau all fairly average this year since a heat wave in spring sent them into premature flowering before they developed properly really messed them up and now they are just going into re-burring stage. View attachment 111453

The sad Tettnang. It just doesn't seem to handle Melbourne weather. Its the first to eagerly kick off early spring then is very vulnerable, actually seems like a magnet for pest attack. The weekest of them. 2nd year fail now but I may as well give them another year to see if they adapt at all maybe...
View attachment 111454

I trialed some last year and sold some through YOB when he was running the Hop Dealz site. I can sell some this year. PM me if interested, I'll be doing 250g bags this year.

Where are you located matplat? I'll have some spare Victoria flowers this year.

Brad, thanks again for letting me help out it was good fun. Thanks again for the Beers afterwards.
Clayton
Anytime. It's been a long 3 days. Now to package it all and clear the drying room for next weeks picking.

IMG_20180211_172800.jpg
IMG_20180211_172222.jpg
IMG_20180211_172203.jpg

Just picked 1kg from a 2.4m section of first year bines, still more to pick in that section. I'm really surprised.

Side question, I want to build the soil 15-30cm above the current level of the crowns to build a garden bed in that section of the yard.

Will this affect the bines in subsequent years, should I leave the crowns at the lower level they're at when backfilling the soil? Should i dig them up and replant them at the new level of the soil?

I'll be using organic topsoil in the pH 6.5 range

Last edited:
3rd first year cascade just beginning to develop burrs, first 2 have flowers developing whilst one other hasn't shown as much vigor.
None of the 4 fuggles showing any signs of flowereing yet :-(

Do the noble and noble-esque hops like Mt Hood just not have that aroma of the American C varieties?
I have this Mt Hood that looks ready, but doesn't really have much aroma with the exception of some subtle floral notes.
Is it ready or should I wait a few days longer?

IMG_20180217_065046.jpg

How long till the flowere develop a strong aroma? My cones are starting to get a little bit papery but still not a huge aroma. Comparing cascade cones to the aroma i get when i open a pack of pellets. Think i will leave em until some petals start browning a bit.

20180224_134726.jpg

I have some Victoria and cascade flowers ready to go but I've been that busy lately that I can't be arsed picking and drying them. If anyone is interested in coming up to Kinglake 3763 and taking some home you are most welcome. Cascade and Victoria are ready to go and POR will be a few weeks off. Cheers.

Back