2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now, here's an example of how tough these suckers are. A couple years ago I got rid of my Mt. Hood crown. I went through my slops n' leftovers pile thoroughly to make sure I wouldn't end up with a bunch of volunteer hops. Sure enough, come spring there was a sprout. It couldn't have come from any bit of rhizome much over three cm. I let it go two seasons, and after putting out a fair few hops this autumn, I figured it deserved a proper life. Here it is, a tidy little crown, with my size 10 1/2 foot for comparison. This is minus the 3cm thick taproot I couldn't get out. I also must have knocked about 20 more nodes off it. And yes, that IS My Left Boot ;)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1500607645.876877.jpg

Well now, here's an example of how tough these suckers are. A couple years ago I got rid of my Mt. Hood crown. I went through my slops n' leftovers pile thoroughly to make sure I wouldn't end up with a bunch of volunteer hops. Sure enough, come spring there was a sprout. It couldn't have come from any bit of rhizome much over three cm. I let it go two seasons, and after putting out a fair few hops this autumn, I figured it deserved a proper life. Here it is, a tidy little crown, with my size 10 1/2 foot for comparison. This is minus the 3cm thick taproot I couldn't get out. I also must have knocked about 20 more nodes off it. And yes, that IS My Left Boot ;)

View attachment 107141

Impressive. Mt Hood just seem to grow and grow! Those two rhizomes of yours I have in my yard have grown into a truly enormous crown now.

A dis-used trellis at work has been nabbed. Keeping them in pots in case a rapid move is required.

Only have the 5 plants, Saaz, Cascade, EKG and two wild white ones). The whitebines have really taken off early.

wp_ss_20170731_0003.png

I have some rhizomes to transplant. Should I transplant straight to their new homes or put in pots in a greenhouse to give them a good start? I am in Southern Tas.

Need some advice. The 'zomes that i bought recently have started shooting, and i have replanted them in the picture.

Can anyone see any issues with my plans for a privacy screen from these hop plants, using the setup in the pic? Planning on using steel poles with with wires across the top, probably anchored to a cement slab either side of the last poles. Distance between plants is 2.4m, which puts the distance between the poles at 4.8m.

Is the distance between poles adequate, or should i reduce this distance? I am unsure of the weight of plants on the structure once they get beyond 3+ years.

Attachments

• hops.jpg
    hops.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 235
  • hops 2.jpg
    hops 2.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 235
Go for it mate that looks perfect.

A couple of additions for the garden .. have now potted:

1 x Saaz
1 x Tettnang
1 x Cascade
1 x Super Alpha
1 x EKG
2 x Whitebine Wildings

Will be interesting to see which varieties handle the warm climate best. The wildings have taken off the fastest.

Hops.jpg

After 6 weeks of harvesting and selling rhizomes, I'm finally getting back to the hop field. Making room for Columbus and Centennial, fertilising and mulching between rain storms at the moment. It won't be long before they start poking their heads up here in VIC.

Got given a Golden Cluster Rhizome at brewmart on Tuesday.

I have two spots in the yard. One is a west facing fence where I could build a lattice of some description. This spot could have retic but I would have to fix the plumbing on that zone of the system.

The other option is to cut into the lawn and train it up the veranda posts and along the underside of the gutter. This would be an east facing position but would get watered by the lawns retic.

What are peoples recommendations?

After 6 weeks of harvesting and selling rhizomes, I'm finally getting back to the hop field. Making room for Columbus and Centennial, fertilising and mulching between rain storms at the moment. It won't be long before they start poking their heads up here in VIC.
If you end up with any spare Centennial zomes, I would gladly purchase 1 from you. I planted Columbus and Cascade last year and have been on the hunt for a Centennial zome this year without any luck.

A couple of additions for the garden .. have now potted:

1 x Saaz
1 x Tettnang
1 x Cascade
1 x Super Alpha
1 x EKG
2 x Whitebine Wildings

Will be interesting to see which varieties handle the warm climate best. The wildings have taken off the fastest.

View attachment 107708

I had zhomes in pots that size last year, the root system grew out from the pot almost a metre... are you looking to transfer them in their second year?

Yes probably will split the rhizomes (if they are big enough) and put them in the fridge to simulate dormancy before replanting in more pots next year... I'm not expecting all to survive, if it's a wet/humid year up here they will be susceptible to disease.

Edit: Many crops traditionally thought of only being suitable for cool climates (e.g. blueberries) are now extensively grown in northern NSW and QLD. The berry growers are moving towards 'grow bags' and pots in spanish tunnels. These guys (e.g.) Costa group are making a killing supplying fruit at times of year when the southern growers simply can't compete. . Where there is a will (and more importantly a market) there is a way.

Last edited:
If you end up with any spare Centennial zomes, I would gladly purchase 1 from you. I planted Columbus and Cascade last year and have been on the hunt for a Centennial zome this year without any luck.
My 3 rhizomes from last year are now 6 plants. I'll probably do some cuttings this year and bury some bines to convert to rhizomes, so will hopefully have some next year. I'm hoping to build stock for myself but potentially may have some spare.

i will be off to inspect the garden tonight!, j/k its 9C and raining... bit of a hurry up to get those rellis' in though. i think the Goldings like a later start but some of the C's should be about.

I have just split up some Monster Cascade Rhizomes and have some for sale if anyone is interested.
range of sizes available from small, large to one absolute big mother.
$10 for a small about 6 inches long, $25 for a large much thicker rhizome with multiple buds and $50 for the big mother. The larger ones will definitely be quite productive in year 1 (as long as you have prepared the planting area with plenty of compost and manure)
Attached photo at harvest time this March and I will chuck in a 50gm of dried Cascade whole hop flowers with each purchase so you can try before you get a harvest, I generally use commercial pellets for base bitterness and use them for dry hopping straight into the fermenter.
I am not sure about quarantine restrictions sending to other states so I will just limit sales to WA and can deliver locally around Albany, Denmark, Mt Barker, Jerramungup areas

Attachments

• 50gm Cascade Hops.pdf
    945.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Big Mother Rhizome.pdf
    582.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Cascades Hops.pdf
    834.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Large Rhizome.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • Small Rhizomes.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
Got my Mt. Hood planted today, a little crown I mentioned earlier in the thread. I was a bit concerned about how long it had been in the fridge, but it looked as fresh and vital as a young athlete would to a Vampire. So I planted it in my coffin. ;)

I also planted a Pride of Ringwood 'zome. Happy to have one of those now that they've been pulled from most commercial production.

Started pulling away the soil in the pot of Willamette, to put the soaker hose under the soil, and there were so many shoots that I broke two with a random swipe of the hand, while listening to Lowrider. Decided to let her be. :)

Last edited:
Got my Mt. Hood planted

I also planted a Pride of Ringwood 'zome. Happy to have one of those now that they've been pulled from most commercial . :)

Hey if you split next season I would be keen on a Mt Hood and a POR :)

I have cascade, victoria, super alpha, chinnok and cluster

Back