2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cascade.jpg centennial_rhizome1.jpg centennial_rhizome2.jpg centennial_rhizome3.jpg victoria_row.jpg victoria.jpg victoria2.jpg victoria3.jpg victoria4.jpg Things are just starting to kick on here. I'll have to string very soon.

Thought it was. Is it your first year with hops and that type of system? What fish and how many?
I am just starting to play with aquaponics, it is an interesting cycle.

yep, I just set it up recently to grow the hops and some veges as a bonus.

I put in 12 goldfish for about a week, then added 24 jade perch so far. Have had a couple of fatalities but planning on putting in another 24 jade perch soon.

Is there a reason why my Cascade plant already has burrs on it (well obviously there is but I don't know what it is)? It's like it's at the 2-3 months into the season stage but it's only taken about 5 weeks to get there. I am in Brisbane and there was a week or so of mid 30s days recently... maybe the plant got a bit thrown out by that? :confused:

Is there a reason why my Cascade plant already has burrs on it (well obviously there is but I don't know what it is)? It's like it's at the 2-3 months into the season stage but it's only taken about 5 weeks to get there. I am in Brisbane and there was a week or so of mid 30s days recently... maybe the plant got a bit thrown out by that? :confused:

Perhaps it's because your days in Brisbane are quite short at the moment (12.5 hours), and short days trigger flowering. Apparently in short day areas, once a certain number of nodes have developed, flowering will occur (http://www.uvm.edu/extension/cropsoil/wp-content/uploads/jason-presentation.pdf). I could be completely off the mark, but that's just what I thought of.

That does seem odd. Mine are just starting to climb and grow through to harvest late March, early April. I'd wonder if cutting them back to the ground may reset them? Not sure about that though. Premature flowering can ruin your yield for the season.

Yeah, last season I harvested probably around February/March, which is fine, but the plant also grew a lot slower then too. It's in its second year now and has grown like wildfire. Being at the olds place I don't get a chance to get to it much so haven't been able to cut anything back on it, just left it to do its thing. Either way, I'm happy with enough flowers for a batch or two, not aiming for kilos of them.

Lot of cloudy overcast days lately in Brisbane that could be part of the problem .

yep, I just set it up recently to grow the hops and some veges as a bonus.

I put in 12 goldfish for about a week, then added 24 jade perch so far. Have had a couple of fatalities but planning on putting in another 24 jade perch soon.
I would have thought hops have far too large a root system for aquaponics.

I would have thought hops have far too large a root system for aquaponics.
They do own a lot of subteranian area in the Aquaponics but you can still grow other vegies and tomatoes, other heavy fruiters, in with them very well. Great thing with the Aquaponics is constant water and nutrients to every plant, nothing misses out.
This thing is a freak. Centre stem is ~80mm thick and all the multi stem base is around 200mm thick. I got over 6kg wet from this last season. With the AP because the water is cool (mine is 11 to 14c atm) this Cascade is the last to take off. It sits idle like this then finally goes ballistic soon. Its developed a mound in the gravel. I tried to remove it a month ago but no way. I would have to remove all the gravel out of the bed to get it out. Maybe after this season is past.
Hops October 201710.JPG

Things are slowly happening down here at Phillip Island;
IMG_5987.JPG

•Cascade

IMG_5988.JPG

•Columbus

IMG_5993.JPG

•Victoria

All up I've got 11 plants going this year including: Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Victoria & Willamette. Gonna be busy again come harvest time.
IMG_5990.JPG

..The fruits of my labour from last season, an IPA (19L.) using: Warrior, Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo & Centennial - with 100g of home grown Victoria at Flame Out and another 100g in a Hop Sock in the Keg. Not too bad :)

Cheers Brewers

100mm here over the weekend, if we survive the rain - things should kick on nicely!

Need to watwr mine again this weekend only the Cascade hadn't kicked off when I checked Sunday

Need to get some more string up for them

Latest posts

Back