2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nothing showing yet in Canberra of the DrSmurto Chinooks from last year...

hop_buds_9-9-17.jpg
Things are just starting to take off here in Yellingbo, VIC.

They're looking about the same for me in Monbulk. The one Cascade I put in the ground already sprouted a week or so ago (I thought the ones in the pots would sprout first as the soil would warm quicker). These are both second year plants.
1.jpg 2.jpg

My Cascade that was buried under the soil a few weeks back has popped its head up now. One shoot was above the soil yesterday. I topped up the Hallertau soil yesterday so it probably won't reappear for a few weeks now.
IMG_20170909_134149.jpg

just got back from being away for a month and checked my hops yesterday,
my fuggles are going gangbusters, some binds are about 25cm long already!

no sign of the cascade yet though.

Dr Smurto's Victoria and Chinook rhizomes are growing well.
2nd year Cluster looks as though it's ready to pop.

Attachments

• Victoria.jpg
    Victoria.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Chinook.jpg
    Chinook.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Cluster.jpg
    Cluster.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 146
PoR and Goldings have said hello while Chinook still plots its takeover of the world and remains underground, finalising the little details.

A couple of additions for the garden .. have now potted:

1 x Saaz
1 x Tettnang
1 x Cascade
1 x Super Alpha
1 x EKG
2 x Whitebine Wildings

Will be interesting to see which varieties handle the warm climate best. The wildings have taken off the fastest.

View attachment 107708
Be interested in the Whitebine , a Canterbury Whitebine relative ??

Gday Edd
Purchased rhizomes from AJ80 (forum member) who gets wildings from Victorian bush. Good guy to deal with.

Hard to confirm origin, many claim the Victorian wildings are Canterbury escapees from early heritage plantings.

If someone was able to Dna test samples from here Vs the UK, I suppose it could be checked out.

cheers
Michael

Hi Edd, definitely!
I tried to chase down a dna testing agency some time ago but got distracted on the way. Might follow it up as it's very difficult and expensive to import these varieties now.
If dna testing could confirm then it would be great.
There's a PCR (dna) machine at my work they use for microbial analysis, I might have a chat to the scientist and see what he says.

One disadvantage I'm finding in relying on a tree to tie my trellis to is that in high winds, the fucker moves. After yesterday, all the lines are a bit droopy...

Mine are all first year rhizomes or chunks of crown. What's the go, should I just let them go and be thankful for anything I get, or is it worth pruning them back a bit so there's a few bines all at the same stage? Only about a handful of bines per mound, but there's always one that's ahead of the others. These leaders are starting to find the trellis now so it's decision time this weekend.

Try planting off the trelis ; so air & sun etc is all round the spritlings : you'll need a few STOUT poles say 1 every 3ft with heavy duty wire at every 1 1/2 feet high right to the top of the pole height , to train the hop bine , something similar to the old fashioned hop garden method of growing , it may be worth a go !!

Planted my rhizomes (Chinook & Victoria) from Dr Smurto on 26/8.

IMG_20170826_152210.jpg

By 30/8 I already had shoots on the Victoria.

IMG_20170830_172732.jpg

Now both are starting to get going! Chinook in red towelled pot, Victoria in blue towelled pot.

IMG_20170914_171901.jpg
IMG_20170914_171903.jpg
IMG_20170914_171908.jpg
IMG_20170914_171911.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170914_171901.jpg
    IMG_20170914_171901.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 99
Back