2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine shot up quick, but have stalled short of a metre. These are all first year's.

I've put it down to lack of water, so I've finally set up my drip irrigation and am using the bath water through this system. Hopefully they'll come good.

I'm not expecting many flowersin the first year, but I would have thought the vines would climb a bit and put on plenty of leaves.

I'm also finding they're strugglying to grab onto the baling twine as well. A few of them I wrap around manually, but in a bit of wind they seem to fall off again.

Edit: Photos attached

Attachments

• IMG_0654.JPG
    IMG_0654.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    452.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    386.6 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I'm also finding they're strugglying to grab onto the baling twine as well. A few of them I wrap around manually, but in a bit of wind they seem to fall off again.

the cascade that has just today hit the top of the fence is a very strong bine, its climbing a bit of fencing wire but i suspect it would have clung to anything, its a pretty hearty bine,

3gefiVZIjecH.jpg

iam not putting the fuggles reluctance down to lack of water as they are all getting the same, the soil has always been moist when i have checked as there is a lot of straw in the pots to keep it damp.

the cascade that has just today hit the top of the fence is a very strong bine, its climbing a bit of fencing wire but i suspect it would have clung to anything, its a pretty hearty bine,

iam not putting the fuggles reluctance down to lack of water as they are all getting the same, the soil has always been moist when i have checked as there is a lot of straw in the pots to keep it damp.

I took a look at mine today during lunch and noticed they're getting better at holding on now that they're getting proper water.

Jeebus, one of my Victoria bines has already started burring out [emoji15]
I'm worried because mine are burring too on Red Earth, Goldings, Hallertau and just noticed developing cones on Tettnang.
This is not good as I understand it. They have not got anywhere near the mass of last years growth. Mine never started to bur until well into January in which they got to grow out really well before flowering. What I understand is they basically stop, or slow to a crawl growing when they start flowering. They shouldn't start flowering before solstice I thought. Its shortening days that trigger it I thought.
Anyone shed any light on this?
Am I facing a poor yield because of this?

I just picked another small harvest from my Cascade this morning, 96g wet this time so about 24/25g when dried properly. Still more to go, but no new burrs forming at the moment. It'll be interesting to see if they start flowering again after new years.

I'm worried because mine are burring too on Red Earth, Goldings, Hallertau and just noticed developing cones on Tettnang.
This is not good as I understand it. They have not got anywhere near the mass of last years growth. Mine never started to bur until well into January in which they got to grow out really well before flowering. What I understand is they basically stop, or slow to a crawl growing when they start flowering. They shouldn't start flowering before solstice I thought. Its shortening days that trigger it I thought.
It's possible a solid nitrogen hit could bump them back into growth phase. I've never tried it. Just keep the potassium low until just before burring, then do a foliar application or on the soil. Foliar application is spraying a dilute solution of potash on the leaves. Most liquid potash fertilisers have instructions on the bottle.

Mine are only burring on the tallest bine, the rest haven't reached the node threshold yet.

I can't answer your other questions, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure mine have burred before solstice, but haven't actually noticed.

Flowering can occur early if there is too little nitrogen and too much phosphorus and or potassium present.

I haven't done it with hops but with other plants like tomatoes I will pull off all buds and keep up the nitrogen. They will stop flowering and go back into grow mode.

Speaking of light cycles, if your plants are dealing with too much shade at either end of the day you could be simulating different light cycle. Once again with other plants, when I've needed to identify sex of the plant I force into a shorter light exposure but usually by completely covering it.

Maybe a combination of both

I suspect mine flowered so early because it grew so quickly. Only took about 4-5 weeks from the first shoot appearing for it to pretty much cover the whole trellis and try to escape to the nearby fence, complete with plenty of laterals too. The Hallertau has been a lot slower to grow but is starting to bush up more at ground level and has a few bines making their way up the lines. No burrs yet.

This is the second little harvest from the Cascade a couple of days ago

IMG_20171114_103335.jpg

i accidently just snapped the top off my best cascade grower.... will it recover from this?

This is my first time growing hops. I put them in large pots and have strung heavy jute from the pots to my first floor balcony. I have had more then a few people stop and wonder what this was as they walked past my place, this is the only full sun space I could grow them in. Plus my thinking is that I can easily trim them from my balcony when it get to long.

full

full

I to snapped the top off the tip from one of my growers and yes it has sent out laterals, should I just cut it back at ground level?

full

Cheers

My other concern is that I may have to much root cuttings in the pot. The cutting were small and so I put three per pot in a triangle layout. My east Kent Goldings have shot to a meter in a month, the Hersbrucker and the Fuggles are just starting to grow but less then 150mm.

I am going to add a good measure of mulch shortly.

Just picked the third harvest of the season from my Cascade, 82g wet so about 20g once dried. Takes the total to around 60g dry so far, with more flowers due for picking in another week or so. Can't see any new burrs at the moment but there are some new laterals poking out.

Hi for those in Victoria (close to macedon ranges). Local daffodil farmer has these drying racks for sale at $5 each. He says they are about 2 feet by 3 feet (they look a bit bigger sitting on a pallet) and he has about 80 left. I’ll be checking them out early next week. If anyone is interested I’m happy to help (get them to my place for pickup, etc)
I’ll post more info once I’ve been and checked them out.
IMG_4217.jpg

thats crazy stuff rocker, my cascades are still thriving, no burrs but they are all going well, the fuggles still are slowed right down though.

Back