2017 SEQ Christmas Case Swap - Tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys I’ve been flat out drinking beers the past week to get on here :p It is a Belgian Ale not a Pilsner - I couldn’t update the spreadsheet, I was going to put in one or the other but hadn’t decided which one as I only got into the swap a few days before it was on. Last night I had the number 12 porter and I thought it was epic! Sweet and malty with tons of character, I loved this beer & wish I had more of it!

Attachments

• E6EF4089-1750-4DB1-8274-8D42AAB007BF.jpeg
    E6EF4089-1750-4DB1-8274-8D42AAB007BF.jpeg
    958.3 KB · Views: 91
10 Ciderman tassie wild dark saison

This is very interesting. Like a sour tooheys old. Luscious nose, but not much saison character. Very similar character to @crowmanz's beer, interesting seeing it in two different beers. His had more saison and less sourness, and this was the other way around. Very nice though.

Yeah it’s not really a Saison in flavour as I mentioned a few pages back. It was brewed with Tassie Wild Yeasts Mount Hartz which like you say is more sour less saison character. I did label it like that as I took it up in temperature to finish the ferment like you would in a typical saison. Didn’t finish as dry as I would have liked, about 1.009 from memory.

5- evoo4u julebrig.
I’ve never had a Christmas beer before this swap so I can only guess what one should taste like.

I thought the #1 julebryg was heavy on the spices and I wasn’t a huge fan. This one is quite nice with a little bit of cinnamon? Overall a great balanced drop.
Thanks evoo!!

9- smoked porter - evoo

Wow mate, didn’t realise that I drank your 2 contributions one after another till I looked at the spreadsheet.
I have to get this recipe, i think it’s a beautiful easy drinking porter with just the right amount of smoke and complexity of chocolate and coffee notes carrying it.

Very enjoyable drop roger. Nice work

24- tooheys 1922 bulk. Didn’t know what to expect from this beer and was pleasantly surprised. I love my dark beers and after looking back from what other people have said I agree with it Being close to an old. It’s a beautifully balanced, easy to drink dark beer.
This one didn’t last long

When I popped my #3 in the fridge it looked like it was keen to get out f the bottle judging by the swelling of the lid. Upon opening it didn't gush but once poured it was definitely over carbonated and had a heap of suspended yeast that just wouldn't quit rising to the head then sinking again - was quite amazing that it kept it up for at least 10 minutes. View attachment 110726

Hey Earle. Back story....forgot the whirlfloc tablet during the boil (truckloads of rye and wheat), and pitched straight onto previous saison yeast cake as planned. Shoulda taken a pic, ended up with 7L of beery-looking ice cream machine sludge. Couldn't even get a channel to flow down through the sludge to the tap, so hap to syphon direct into bottles. Thought I had 'em all done well, as both bottle I've had here had been able to pour ok when decanted into a jug. I'll have a replacement beer for you and anyone who can't get it to play...shame, cos it tasted pretty decent.

Hey Earle. Back story....forgot the whirlfloc tablet during the boil (truckloads of rye and wheat), and pitched straight onto previous saison yeast cake as planned. Shoulda taken a pic, ended up with 7L of beery-looking ice cream machine sludge. Couldn't even get a channel to flow down through the sludge to the tap, so hap to syphon direct into bottles. Thought I had 'em all done well, as both bottle I've had here had been able to pour ok when decanted into a jug. I'll have a replacement beer for you and anyone who can't get it to play...shame, cos it tasted pretty decent.
That explains it. Rye and wheat can be a bit tricky

Any suggestions?
Not really. I haven't had this problem even when I've used heaps of rye or wheat. I've done 100% wheat saisons and gone to about 35% rye in other beers. I use brewbrite and cold crash. It could have been the combination of that with the trub/yeast cake from your previous beer though. I've read that a cup of fresh yeast/trub is enough so maybe that would have made the difference. What sort of system do you brew on?

Alos, are you sure it was finished fermenting? The gusher that Roger got and the swollen condition of mine suggests something is up. Your trub may not have settled if it wasn't finished, also may have contributed more yeast sediment in the bottles.

Alos, are you sure it was finished fermenting? The gusher that Roger got and the swollen condition of mine suggests something is up. Your trub may not have settled if it wasn't finished, also may have contributed more yeast sediment in the bottles.

Ta mate, there's a couple other things may be factors. The first beer (hoppy saison in the swap) was done with smack pack of 3711. Pack was way over date wise, and showed no life so I chucked it in anyways and gave a MJ French Saision as well. A very solid first ferment which fermented out, nowt for a couple days, then another full efrment which lasted about 2 to 3 days, which I'm guessing was the 3711 coming to life. F.G. ended up around 1.006 or 1.009 from memory, instead of scheduled 1.016. It had time to be finished. So this was the cake that this beer was pitched onto. I'm guessing a combination of the factors has played its part. Just saw Rog's post as well.... will make things right with replacement beers....

Ta mate, there's a couple other things may be factors. The first beer (hoppy saison in the swap) was done with smack pack of 3711. Pack was way over date wise, and showed no life so I chucked it in anyways and gave a MJ French Saision as well. A very solid first ferment which fermented out, nowt for a couple days, then another full efrment which lasted about 2 to 3 days, which I'm guessing was the 3711 coming to life. F.G. ended up around 1.006 or 1.009 from memory, instead of scheduled 1.016. It had time to be finished. So this was the cake that this beer was pitched onto. I'm guessing a combination of the factors has played its part. Just saw Rog's post as well.... will make things right with replacement beers....
Was the scheduled 1.016 from Beersmith or like? They don't calc FG for saisons very well. 1.006 to 1.009 is even a bit high for saisons.

3 @madpierre06 - red rye saison
Appearance: Murky copperyish but due to the yeastiness of it appears a light brown. Huge head to begin with then coming down to a half centimeter thick persistent head.
Aroma: Slight esteryness to it. I'd even say a bit of alcohol smell on the nose. Almost a bit of hefe yeast smell, or maybe the rye which reminds me of a roggenbier I did recently.
Flavour: Sharpish rye to it. That spicy, grainy ryeness. I do enjoy the rye. Definitely has that clovey saison flavour to it. I'd suspect a bit of crystal/caramel malt in here. Can't state how much rye flavour this has in it.
Mouthfeel: Middling, not picking up any slickness from the rye that sometimes you encounter. Quite dry actually.
Overall: Aside from the over carbonation, which I assume is because it wasn't finished and the floating yeast that seem to get caught up in the over carbonation or even act as nucleation points. This is a pretty enjoyable beer. Its got a great flavour, the rye comes through, it mixes well with the saison yeast and honestly given that I've only just checked the spread sheet, 8.25% (or more if it did ferment further), that is not even apparent at all to me. There isn't a booziness of a bigger beer such as this and boy does that unique rye character really make it an interesting drink.

9- smoked porter - evoo

Wow mate, didn’t realise that I drank your 2 contributions one after another till I looked at the spreadsheet.
I have to get this recipe, i think it’s a beautiful easy drinking porter with just the right amount of smoke and complexity of chocolate and coffee notes carrying it.

Very enjoyable drop roger. Nice work

1.8kg Gladfield ale
1.5kg Gladfield Manuka smoked
2.1kg Gladfield Munich
500g crystal 40
500g crystal 80
350g chocolate
230g black (patent)
MASH @68C
45g EKG @60'
25g Williamette @ 30'
20g Williamette @ 15'
15g EKG @FO
15g Williamette @FO
YEAST US-05
No-chill method

I agree - it's one I'll be brewing up again for sure!

17 - Zorco - mega multi strain Belgian blonde thing
Highish carbonation, good head retention, laced nicely down the glass.
I'm getting a peppery yeast profile and some light floral thing going on in the aroma. Taste is spicy and it has a kind of sweetness that is cut by a sharp dry finish. I can't tell if this is 4% or 8%, very nice.

49B2AE0B-468F-442A-B42A-669BDEB1250E.jpeg

17 - Zorco - mega multi strain Belgian blonde thing
Highish carbonation, good head retention, laced nicely down the glass.
I'm getting a peppery yeast profile and some light floral thing going on in the aroma. Taste is spicy and it has a kind of sweetness that is cut by a sharp dry finish. I can't tell if this is 4% or 8%, very nice.

View attachment 110787
You forgot to mention the awesome label. @Zorco did you have some help with the labels from your assistant brewers or was that all your own work?

9 @evoo4u - smoked porter
Appearance: Dark black, brownish tan head. Highlights of ruby red when held up to the light around the edges.
Aroma: Sweetish smell, mild roast. That mild smokiness that I associate with a ham/bacon, due to being the most common smoked food in my life.
Flavour: Smokiness, but nothing super over powering. Sweet maltiness to it. Softish roastiness, but acrid nor biting. Dark chocolate flavours going on.
Mouthfeel: Less than I'd have thought, I do get a drying effect from the carbonation, which seems to be prickly on the tongue.
Overall: Tasty tasty porter. Smoked goes so well and I haven't really tried it elsewhere. But I do sometimes get that smoked characteristic from certain dark malts. Is in my top 3 so far.
I think its just a solid dark beer that is tasty.

9_evoo4u_smoked_porter.jpeg

1- pcgypcgys Julebryg
Yuge malty spicey nose, flavour, same, boozey, chewy and nice spice mix - I'd prefer it a bit drier since it seemed under attenuated, but pretty enjoyable even in this heat :)

Back