2017 SEQ Christmas Case Swap - Tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14. Crowmanz Saison

Consumed in the pool. Excellent on a warm day. ABV hidden well but sneaks up on you.

IMG_0881.jpg

2 Madpierre - Hoppy Saison

Funky with a bit of bitterness. A bit complex and quite enjoyable. What yeast did you use with this one, I'm getting a touch of something a bit wild.

2 Madpierre - Hoppy Saison

Funky with a bit of bitterness. A bit complex and quite enjoyable. What yeast did you use with this one, I'm getting a touch of something a bit wild.

Hey Earle, ta mate. A bit of a story...had a smack pack of 3711 18 months past use date, and a MJ French Saison. The smack pack showed no life but chucked it in anyways, along with the MJ. First ferment took off pretty quick (assuming the MJ here), it had finished out completely, then a day later anoither solid ferment took off (assuming the Wyeast here), went about 3 days then stopped at 1.009 (original F.G. was to be 1.016).

14 crowmanz hipster saison

Very delicate saison aroma and flavour. Much more complex than your standard saison. Malt bitterness and yeast all well balanced, letting the very subtle yeast characteristics shine.

This is amazing. Will have to feature in my 3/2/1's at the end for sure.

Yes, definitely mood setting Winkle..... You're wife controlling the remote again?

14. Crowmanz - Tassie Wild Saison

Everything I've had of these yeasts has been nothing short of delicious. This fits the bill. Crisp, morish, spritzy, very saison'ish. Top drop, mate.

IMG_1079.JPG

Yes, definitely mood setting Winkle..... You're wife controlling the remote again?
"Oceans on Fire" 1980s B grade, oil rig blows up, movie. Forgetable, so I did until now.

6. Liam Peppercorn Saison

I was fearing this would be like your ridiculously hot chilli beers! The pepper certainly has an impact but it works. Gotta say I’m enjoying the amount of saisons in this hot weather. Nice beer!

IMG_0896.jpg

I wish this friggen man flu would bugger off, there are 4 in the fridge wanting on palate recovery.

4. Bribie G Tooth 1950’s XXX

Presents clear straw coloured. Slight pear like aroma and flavour, that reminds me of Coopers yeast like in sparkling ale, but otherwise clean.

Bribie G's enjoyed over 2 nights, second night in a more appropriate glass
IMG_20171217_191757229.jpg
IMG_20171218_194454523.jpg

#2 (Red) Madpierre - Hoppy Saison

Poured hazy and murky. Pleasant saison phenolic characters from both aroma and flavour. A good mix of malt profile to dryness. There is a hop presence on the flavour but I couldn't pin point an exact hop type/flavour in the rest of the saison phenols.
IMG_20171218_205100933.jpg

15 @benken25 - random cube saison.
Appearance: A copper colour, quite clear. Decentish head retention with quite a fluffy head when poured, receding down to a minimal solid head.
Aroma: Saison esters all the way. That slightly funky off saison smell.
Flavour: Bitterness/hops, I can't tell you. I am tasting the saison pepperiness, less clovey/bananery that I sometimes get with the few saisons I've had recently.
Mouthfeel: Not heavy, quite refreshing. Bit more body than other saisons I've reviewed in the thread so far.
Overall: Quite an enjoyable beer. With a nice copper colour. It almost reminds me of an english bitter in colour and mild bitterness (of those sort). But defintely has the saison smell and peppery taste. But no over powering and quite in balance actually. I think the maltiness whilst not immediately apparent does balance it.

1. Julebryg - Pcqypcqy

Hit the spot after a rough day. Nice warming Christmas ale. Delicious.

IMG_0910.jpg

4. Bribie G 1950 Tooths XXX Ale. I haven't had a Tooths for a long time and even then it'd been an Old. But this is a well made tasty drop, star bright, well carbonated, (lowish head retention) clean, with a touch of pear as others have noted, some spritz on the tongue. I was expecting a cidery note with the percentage of sugar used, but can't find it, good work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back