2017 SEQ Christmas Case Swap - Tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure that after having a RR Saison and one of Troy's RIS's, two decimal points is the best you're gonna get.

I'm pretty sure that after having a RR Saison and one of Troy's RIS's, two decimal points is the best you're gonna get.

How are you measuring to 2 points? I wouldn't have thought any home brew methods are that precise.

But still, how? You might be accurate, but I doubt it's that precise.

If using a hydrometer, only a 2 point difference (i.e. one line) on either OG or FG can throw your ABV by 0.25%. Double that error if you're wrong on both OG and FG.

Even if you could get it to a 1 point difference, you're still talking 0.125% error.

I've made up a look up table based on this calculator: http://pint.com.au/calculators/alcohol/

A wine making friend testing a few of my beers for shits and giggles with an ebulliometer and found it was pretty spot on (within 0.1% generally).

okay Mr Science Man that's enough outta you

Spreadsheet attached.

Of course the 0.25% error varies with OG and FG (it's not linear), but that's for an OG of 1050 and an FG of 1010.

Attachments

• ABV calculator.xlsm
    33.4 KB · Views: 66
Brewmate recipe sheet never lies.....I mean, if I can't trust it in areas such as these, what's next? Sheet says wheat, I have to take it at it's word.

pretty sure most of my beers are exact percentage, +/- 1/10 * 10^1 percent, at least :p

Had Liams Peppercorn Saison yesterday, great layer of yeast flavours, added to by subtle pepper flavours. I didn't perceive it as dry as I normally associate Saisons to be, perhaps there was a little buttery slick there, which took that perception away.
Lacing the glass all the way down to the final drop, I enjoyed it, thanks mate :)

Last edited:
Sweet, one of these scheduled for tomorrow...+/- a day. Not sure how precise I can get it. Actually, I 'member when I was running a Behringer Steel saw back in the day, they put me on that cos of my precision. Mind you, t'weren't beer involved.

pretty sure most of my beers are exact percentage, +/- 1/10 * 10^1 percent, at least :p

Had Liams Peppercorn Saison yesterday, great layer of yeast flavours, added to by subtle pepper flavours. I didn't perceive it as dry as I normally associate Saisons to be, perhaps there was a little buttery slick there, which took that perception away.
Lacing the glass all the way down to the final drop, I enjoyed it, thanks mate :)

Cheers Martin! It finished at 1.002

I hopped it late with about 4.5g/L of mandarina bavaria, maybe that added some perceived sweetness / oiliness?

Last edited:
Cheers Martin! It finished at 1.002

I hoped it late with about 4.5g/L of mandarina bavaria, maybe that added some perceived sweetness / oiliness?

That could very well be it, and I was thinking of it last night, after posting, perhaps the alcohol also added to that perception!
Great beer none the less :)

Back