2017 SEQ Christmas Case Swap - Tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6. Liam_Snorkel - Saison with Black Peppercorns.

- accompanied by the finest of the food groups. Lovely Saisonie characteristics with very subtle Peppercorn'ness as it warms up. Top drop mate.

IMG_1063.JPG

13: @Parks Mango Chilli Saison - first cab off the rank because of the fresh produce added.
Appearance: Dark golden, good carbonation, not a huge amount of head but persistent. Slight haziness to it
Aroma: Chilli, potentially saison esters, sweetish smell not sure if malt or mango.
Flavour: Saison spiciness, chilli definitely prominent not too spicey hot (but totally more than I've had in most beers), mango feels overshadowed by the super saison flavour and the great chilli flavour.
Mouthfeel: Drier than I thought initially.
Overall: Unique beer for me, you know its got chilli, not entirely sure on the mango flavour. Super drinkable. You'd really fool me that this was 6.7% alcohol as that level is not apparent at all.

The mango was very subdued for most of this beer’s life however my QA on the bottle conditioned beer was more apparent to me. I felt it boosted the general sweetness more than gave a good mango flavour though.

Glad you enjoyed it [emoji4]

The mango was very subdued for most of this beer’s life however my QA on the bottle conditioned beer was more apparent to me. I felt it boosted the general sweetness more than gave a good mango flavour though.

Glad you enjoyed it [emoji4]
Yeah good stuff, its totally a beer I'd never be game enough to make. So its good that I can try it without having to have the risk of a keg of it.

13: Parks Mango Chilli Saison

A touch of saison and plenty of chilli on the nose and flavour although not overpowering - a nice warmth/burn. I would have enjoyed a more prominent mango, I did find it but there was some searching.

Second glass from the tallie has more mango characteristics, I dunno if it was sitting in the bottom of the bottle or I have gotten used to the chilli.

Tasted one of my spares last night and the carbonation seemed pretty good. Still, after the low carb fiasco of last swap probably best to leave for another week just to be sure.

1. Pesky's Julebryg

Top Julebryg from the house of Marshall...toffee/syrup sweetness balanced wit a touch of spices. Solid, malty, chewy drop. Enjoyable, mate.

IMG_1064.JPG

15. Benken25 - saison cube aléatorie - Lemon Sorbet Saison in a glass. Says it all. Saving other bottle for a stinker of a day, will be ferpect.

IMG_1066.JPG

1. Pesky's Julebryg

Top Julebryg from the house of Marshall...toffee/syrup sweetness balanced wit a touch of spices. Solid, malty, chewy drop. Enjoyable, mate.

Cheers mate, I'm just glad it has bubbles this time around!

6 @Liam_snorkel - peppercorn saison.
Appearance: Moderate golden colour. Fluffy head on pouring, quite stable and white. Stuck around for a bit, but has receded down to a tiny rim.
Aroma: Saison esters. Spiciness, like coriander almost. If the peppercorn is mixed in there I think its mixed in with the saison esters and I can't tell it apart.
Flavour: Saison spiciness, prominent black pepper flavour. Nice malty sweetness here. I'd love to know the malts.
Mouthfeel: Quite dry, refreshing.
Overall: A spicy, estery, refreshing drop. That makes me want to keep sipping... it doesn't get too much after having a glass and I'd go back for seconds, so I will.
Minor suggestion, depending on how long they were left in and how much, the peppercorns could be toned down just a bit. But its only a guess, and how you'd go about that I can't say.

Looking forward to that, I think I might save it till Christmas. Seems appropriate.

There was an open bottle floating around on the day, but didn't make it far before it was empty. Might be heavy going for day drinking though.

There was an open bottle floating around on the day, but didn't make it far before it was empty. Might be heavy going for day drinking though.
I must have missed it, but what is the ABV?

4 @Bribie G - Tooths 1950s XXX Ale
Appearance: Pale straw gold colour. Almost yellow. Crystal clear. Even when poured right to the bottom brilliantly clear. Little head retention that quickly dissipates.
Aroma: Faint ester. Almost twanginess to it. Mild hoppiness maybe?
Flavour: Familiar. Hops/classic mega swill hoppiness. Clean, crisp, drinkable. Slight cideryness to it. Although a decent malt flavour that is in the background.
Mouthfeel: Moderate to low, but super refreshing.
Overall: A super drinkable beer that strikes me as a more flavourful and characterful beer than the standard XXXX/Carlton Draught. It makes me think of crown lager or something like that from when I used to steal sips from my father.
I can see why they'd make so much of this, I could drink it all day.

I must have missed it, but what is the ABV?

It's 6.5%, but I was more suggesting the darkness and sweetness might not go so well early in the day.

So Jill and I finally cracked a few today:

Ben 15 Saison

Cloves, but in a good yeast character way (rather than a hack 4 wolves/GB brewery way). A very solid saison. No smoke though. Any choc wheat?

Troy 13 Mango chilli Saison

Mango low, but still there. Good level of chilli. Nice saison character. very drinkable. Seems the fruit ferments out and goes a bit generic (happened with my mulberry saison we had at he swap out of the keg as well), but I think it still provides a good balance with the chilli. We're going to try a no-fruit chilli saison to see what this does to the balance. You know, for science.

Liam 6 Pepper saison

Another solid saison. Agree with Randai about dialing the pepper back a bit, it overpowers. I'm almost perceiving the pepper and saison character as a bandaid fault. But I don't think that's a real issue with the beer, it's just an associated flavour in my brain so that's just how I perceive it. But the idea works and when balanced I think this will be a cracking beer.

Latest posts

Back