2017 SEQ Christmas Case Swap - Tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And for discussions sake, my notes for my julebryg:

Double batch (approx 10 gallons)

Grain
6kg pilsner
2kg munich
2kg wheat
1.4kg caramunich
2 handfuls choc wheat

Hops: 15 IBU magnum at 60 mins, then 50g saaz at 30 mins and 50g saaz at 10 mins. IBU ~ 25.

Spices:
30 mins - 2 star anise
5 mins 25g coriander seed, 1 cinnamon stick, 50g orange peel (fresh).

Yeast Fermented with S23.

Other:
Mash in at 65, ramped up to 67 and left there.
I ended up adding water during the boil and got to 39 litres at 1063 post boil.

As discussed here earlier, I'd probably dial my spices back a bit next time, maybe reduce the coriander and bump up the cinnamon. When it was fresh, the orange peel really shone through and balanced it all, but that has mellowed out a bit now. I also had a lot of spice mud at the bottom of my kegs that got stirred up each time I bumped them, so I tried to crash a few times and discarded a fair bit to try and remove this. Keg finings might be a better option next time.

24 - Randai - Tooheys 1922 Bulk/xxx
Black with red highlights and white creamy head. Subtle aroma of grain and lightly roasted coffee. Clean as a whistle. Goes down very easily with some lacing and a persistent head despite medium carbonation.
I just spent 20mins ransacking the house trying to find my copy of bronzed brews to read up on the beer but alas I can't find it. Second photo was taken after that.

BB635355-3CBC-4969-8A3D-ACE65664F9DB.jpeg
11E4A11B-F69A-450A-9CB4-7F777B4B6D17.jpeg

Last edited:
8 - Earle - 'bad santa' christmas spiced saison
Classic saison with subtle but present spices, very nicely put together, bravo

1C543777-D480-4833-A894-C5BA8C6E5E4E.jpeg

Finally getting back into these after 2 weeks away

1 - pcqypcqy - julebyrg

Shared with a mate, Christmas cake type flavours without too much fruit, good malt profile. This would be a treat in the winter.

8 - Earle - bad Santa Saison

Solid Saison base, Christmas spice faintly picked up on the back end.

8 earle bad saison

I've nothing to add to previous comments on this beer. Really well made saison and nice subtle spicing.

I can't tell what the spices are, so I reckon the strength of spicing is bang on.
IMG_6910.jpg

24 - Randai - Tooheys 1922 Bulk/xxx
Black with red highlights and white creamy head. Subtle aroma of grain and lightly roasted coffee. Clean as a whistle. Goes down very easily with some lacing and a persistent head despite medium carbonation.
I just spent 20mins ransacking the house trying to find my copy of bronzed brews to read up on the beer but alas I can't find it. Second photo was taken after that.

View attachment 110951 View attachment 110952
Note my recipe is slightly different than stated in the recipe, its an all grain recipe and I replaced the roasted malt with chocolate wheat to give it more colour, but not as much roastiness. I assume.

Note my recipe is slightly different than stated in the recipe, its an all grain recipe and I replaced the roasted malt with chocolate wheat to give it more colour, but not as much roastiness. I assume.
Choc wheat. That explains why it was so tasty.

gettin' me right in the feels again Siderman..... people will start talking about us

A 'friend' gave eme one of those Belgians of yours to try Zorco, lovely drop. Apparently a second one has been kept aside for a later date.

11 - Insensate - zombie dust clone

Probably should have got onto this one earlier. Deep amber, with plesent over ripe (tropical/stone) fruit and malt melding. Head died on me but was likely my reused glass.

22 @Scotty mack - Belgian something or other?
Appearance: Very little head retention. Pretty clear. Really gold colour.
Aroma: Esters, belgian I think. Quite a sweet smell (yay complex descriptors).
Flavour: Flavour screams belgian ale to me, with that sort of fruitiness, but a bit of spicy yeast character
Mouthfeel: Dry, not cloying.
Overall: Pretty drinkable belgian ale. Not sure how else to describe this one. No flaws that I can taste, only flaw is lack of head retention. Shows of a pretty good belgian characteristic as far as I can tell, not saisonny too much, but more fruity. Its nice.

22_scottymack_belgian_something.jpeg

17 @Zorco Belgian Multistrain

I'm getting a Belgian blonde vibe rather than a saison. Good carbonation, long lasting head.
IMG_20180112_195533313.jpg

Last edited:
23 @winkle buckwheat thing

The colour is deceptive. There is a good light malt flavour there that is perfect for summer. Considering the leak this beer has held up well.

22 @Insensate - IPA/Pale Ale - Zombie Dust Clone
Appearance: Very little head retention. Clearish, mild bit of haze. Copper colour.
Aroma: Sweet malty flavour on the nose. With a slight citrusy/fruity smell. No estery smell that I can pick up. Clean and pleasant. No booze.
Flavour: Fruity, bitter, citrusy. Maybe orange peel or something like that. Maltiness is present, but really clean. Not a rough maltiness that I can get from commercial IPAs, where the sweetness seems sickly.
Mouthfeel: Moderate, but the bitterness keeps it in check.
Overall: Great hoppier beer. Refreshing with a present bitterness. Quite fruity. The maltiness is a good backup to the hops, doesn't over power. Actually enjoyed this than some of the IPAs/American pale ales I've had recently. Can't tell you how close it is to the original, never had it.
11_insenate_zombie_dust_clone.jpeg

#3 red rye saison

Hmm, this one was an interesting beer. The rye really pushed through and confused the saison for me. It was fairly malty (can't find the right word), sweet maybe.

If I didn't know it was a saison base, I would have said amber ale and would have enjoyed it.

Lots of crud in second half of bottle. I remembered after I poured it there was one beer that needs decanting. D'oh, bad Angus

IMG_6917.jpg

23 @winkle buckwheat thing

The colour is deceptive. There is a good light malt flavour there that is perfect for summer. Considering the leak this beer has held up well.
Ta, mate. It originally meant to be a (late) holiday breakfast beer, I thought probably best consumed with (buckwheat) pancakes.

9 - Evoo4u - smoked porter 6.6%
Black with a hint of red at the corner. Roast, toast, and caramel sweetness, smoke is there in the aroma too. Fair bit of fizz and the head retention was excellent (not just due to the carbonation, all the way to the end of the bottle). This beer is right up my alley and is my favourite ABV. Good stuff Rog

F3E4FF71-FE44-4CAE-A69E-F9659D82B006.jpeg

Latest posts

Back