2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
husky said:
Anyone in Melb still got hops on the bine? I have cascade, vic and Chinook still going. Looks like most other people have harvested, just curious if anyone else's still going?
Looks like I'll be picking Chinook next weekend, then Cascade and Victoria the week after. All still too young, but getting close.

Thought I better take a proper look at mine this morning. Chinook had some small flowers starting to die off so climbed up to the top and had a good look and turns out they are ready. Harvested 980g wet but left 30% on the bine that looked a bit past it.
I planted 3 first years and the Chinook was the lowest flowering. Based on the density of the others I should easily get 2kg vic and 1kg cascade. The cascade cones are massive compared to the others as well.
Ordered a drying net last night so these guys will have to wait.

20170302_091337.jpg

20170302_091448.jpg

20170302_091434.jpg

20170302_091441.jpg

20170302_091446.jpg

20170302_091448.jpg

Nice. I have a hypothesis that part of the difference in flavour between commercial and homegrown hops is that commercial hops are left in heaps until they have enough for a drying run. This would allow for greater decarboxylation and less of the grassy and vegetal flavours.

Just a theory. I'm hoping to get enough this year to test this, but Im not sure I will.

In this photo is the Cascade in the foreground with the Hallertau behind it. There are more cones on the Cascade than it looks, they are just hiding under the leaves and also on the other side of it. The dead parts interspersed amongst it are a bine that somehow got chopped off at the ground about a month ago, but otherwise it's going really well. The newer cones on it have reverted back to a more normal shape and form now after that period where they all went weird, so I'll definitely be getting another harvest this year, probably another two harvests with the new burrs that are on it too.

As you can see, the Hallertau is not looking all that great. For some reason when I picked the flowers that were on it, most of the leaves on the bines died and fell off. It didn't really produce many laterals this year either. A month ago or so it was looking as healthy as the Cascade plant so I don't really know what happened to it. There are a couple of little new shoots popping up out of the soil so at least it's not dead. Will just have to see how it goes next season.

IMG_1152.JPG

Chinook in Sydney, been in the ground 7 years.
Hours and hours of picking every year.IMG_7928.JPG

Nullnvoid said:
I don't think I'll get a harvest this year at this rate. My plants are still growing! No sign of anything else.
What's going on there mate!? How high are they?

My EKG's planted in a half wine barrel make a nice outdoor shower screen.

Cow manure and compost, some dynamic lifter worm wee and regular watering.

IMG_5008 (1).jpg

Curly79 said:
What's going on there mate!? How high are they?
Probably 3 metres?, chopped them off when they got to the gutter of the roof.

They have only just started in the last week or two putting out laterals? Took forever for them to grow upwards. Been watering and also powerfeeding.

I'll take a picture tonight. They are not very thick

Here is my three plants. Still fairly small compared to everyone else's. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or its just because they are first year.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488443856.421021.jpg

Nullnvoid said:
Here is my three plants. Still fairly small compared to everyone else's. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or its just because they are first year.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488443856.421021.jpg
Oh. 1st years! Don't stress then mate. Get them in the ground next season and they will flourish. Maybe the spud who gave you the rhizomes set you up[emoji6].

Curly79 said:
Oh. 1st years! Don't stress then mate. Get them in the ground next season and they will flourish. Maybe the spud who gave you the rhizomes set you up[emoji6].
Yeah not overly stressed. And yeah that silly git that gave me one of them, wow, did I get taken for a ride! Funny though, that one is still in the pot you gave it too me in and until recently was doing the best out of the three!

+1 for raised boxes if not going in the ground. That Cascade in my earlier post is a first year as well. Dunno what the bloody hell happened to the 2nd year Hallertau but anyway.

Yob said:
Ok for 1 maybe... Certainly not for 2, they'll be competing for water for sure and likely always dry
Ok, looks like I will have to reassess every thing for next season!

Yob said:
That other pot is a disgrace my friend... lol

Yeah I know, I got it at the last minute of Curly79 and then didn't get around to get another barrel for it so left it in the pot he gave it too me. I never expected it to actually grow well. Shame on me for not realising the potential of the hop!

I'll do better next year, hopefully in another house where I can put them in the ground. That's why they are in a barrel

Came back from a 2 week swing at work and one of my chinooks has completely died. Everything is black! It was the first plant to flower and I managed to pick a few cones before I left but there were a heap more I was hoping to harvest once I got back. Hoping the rhizome hasn't been destroyed as well. The two other plants next to it seem to be ok and still producing which is odd.

Shame, did you have an automatic watering system in place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back